Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 5.7l Silverado Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2011, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 97 5.7l Silverado Starting problems

Hi all, i'm new to the site so thanks for any help I get. I am having issues with my 97 5.7l 4x4 Silverado. Some times it starts perfect and runs great. Other times it wont turn over unless I really stomp on the gas pedal, then it idals very rough for a min or 2. Then it seems to dial its self in and run great. During those 2 min, if I try to put it in gear it dies.

I tested the fuel pressure and it was low and bleeding off fast when shut off. So I put in a new fuel pump and filter. Now it has great pressure and stays pressurized when shut off. But it did not fix the problem. I'm at a loss.

I put new air and oil filters. oil change. No trouble lights lit up. There was one originally and it was the eng-1 fuse kept blowing. I found a pinched wire to the camshaft position sensor and re wired it. When I had a new tranny put in it they pinched it. fuse doesn't blow now and no trouble lights.

Any ideas? Could that sensor be bad now?

It only seems to give me trouble after it has recently ran. If it set for a day, it will start right up no problem.

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2011, 9:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have some leaking fuel injecters flooding the engine.
Old May 30th, 2011, 7:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto OLD WRENCH,the fuel pressure regulator could be leaking,if you have the old poppet style injector spider i would ditch it and get the upgraded one found it on amozon for about $215

Sean
97 4x4 burb