Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 cheyenne won't start

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2007, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 cheyenne won't start

i have a 1997 chevy 1500 Cheyenne. it all started during a 3 day rainy stretch the truck took over 10 tries to get it to start. since then it takes me about 10 minutes and dozens of cranks to get it started. the last time it started it took a while as usual and it started and i hit the gas to blow the fuel i had dumped out of the exhaust out and it sputtered and died, on the next crank it started. i checked a couple of things but need help what to do next. the fuel pump is working and after 5 or 6 cranks you can smell the gas that didn't burn coming out of the tail pipes. there is good spark throught the coil and all the way to the plugs. i took the plugs out and they look clean with good burn marks. what else can i check? could it be a sensor?
Old June 27th, 2007, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 97 cheyenne won't start

Probably a fuel delivery issue, not getting enough fuel. Have you changed your fuel filter lately. If your plugs look "good and clean", you can't be flooding the engine.

What's your fuel pressure? Should be somewhere around 50 to 55psi. If not, fuel pump is on its last leg.

Battery may also be getting weak. Fuel pump won't work under 10 volts, oil pressure will override at about 30 psi and start delivering fuel. Could be reason for delayed start.

I would start by changing fuel filter and then fuel pump.

Good luck,
Buddy