Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 k15 wont drive? blown transmission?

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 k15 wont drive? blown transmission?

Hey guys the other as I was coming home from work when my trucks rpms starting shooting up but the truck slowed down, so id stop on the shoulder put in park and contiue hoping to get home before it totally quit but eventually it gave out and now it wont drive in any gear, except yesterday I tried again and it wanted slowly inch forward but eventually it stopped again. So my question is does this sound like a blown transmission? My friend says it could be my torque converter but I dont know much about trannys so I wouldn't know what to look for in that case.i checked the transmission oil and its usually red but this time its dark red almost black and smelled different, my dads saying I burned out my clutch but again I dont know much so why an automatic has a clutch is a mystery to me. How can I figure out whats wrong so I know what to tell a mechanic and avoid a huge labour bill? Any and all help here is greatly appreciated
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short of pulling the transmission out you won't know what the problem is and pulling the trans is very labor intensive and I would suggest having some help as they are heavy