Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 silverado want start

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2011, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 silverado want start

i have a 97 siverado z71 vortec 5.7 an i just replaced the motor with a rebuilt crate engine got it all back togather an it ran great for the first day, the next day i cranked it up an got about 200 yards down the road an it was like the transmission stoped pulling all it would do was rev up, wouldnt go backwards or forwards i puled the truck home an about a hour later i tried to start it an it will crank up run for a sec then die could the two problems be related?? ive replaced the cam sensor/crank senor /knock sensor/throttel position sensor,it gave me code 1345 witch is cam/crank sensor,an then i cleard the code an no its given me codes for the throttel position senor circuit low voltage an a code for ignition control high voltage ???? any ideas???

Last edited by steele; May 25th, 2011 at 5:35 PM.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being from the old skool of mechanic's, the reving and no movement forward or backward, and that you replaced the engine. I would wonder if the bolts on the flexplate attaching to the torque convertor might be broken. that would allow you to start the engine but not be able to move. Just a thought
Old May 26th, 2011, 7:04 PM
CF Senior Member

check the eng-1 fuse and ecm-1 fuse

sean

97 4x4 burb
Old May 28th, 2011, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

thankx for the tip but no luck checked all fuses ever one looks good im leaning toward the engine computer, because at first it was sayin the cam or crank sensor replaced them both now codes are sayin some thing differnt ???
Old May 29th, 2011, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

ok yesterday i decide to un hook the battery termanls an i left them off for like a hour , i hooked them back up an it started up it was still runnin alittel rough but would stay running, i got the same code again 1345 witch is crank sensor an cam sensor default,,so i decide to check the wires on the two sensors an i found that the crank senor plug looks like it might have got hot kinda blackesh an the wires going in to the plug have bare spots ,, any one think that could cause the problem???
Old May 30th, 2011, 7:26 AM
CF Senior Member

1345 is the crank to cam correlation fault if you put #1 cylinder on top center and line up the rotor with the pointer on the distributor that should get it close enouph to get that code to go away if not you might move the distributor in either direction in small increments to see if it goes away,if not you need to take it to some one to have the cam angle set to 0 +- 2 deg with the right scantool dealer can do it,when did my crank sensor i replaced the connector with same problem (bare wires) thinking that was my hard starting problem when it was wet but that turned out to be a cap and rotor not made to spec

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old May 30th, 2011, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

thankx for the advice ill give that a try an see what happens
Old May 31st, 2011, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

well i got thinking we set the time on it an checked it a few times,an the cap an button were off the old motor an they never had a problem with them & the look good , an i replaced the crank sensor an the plug going to it an no fix, but when u unhook the battery cabels for like a hour it will start up an run fine even when i give it gas it revs up but it still want move when u put it into gear backwards or forwards , an then after a few min of runing it will go back to dien on me un hook the battery termals for a bit an it will go back to running for a while?? any one think it could be the computer ???? or any other ideas ??
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

i read some were on my model truck when u replace the crank sensor u have to hook up a scan tool an do a relearn process any one think me changin out that sensor an not doin that could be the problem???