Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 malibu want start tried 10 min deal. HELP

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 malibu want start tried 10 min deal. HELP

My wifes 2002 malibu want start. We have had nothing but great service from this car since we bought it. Last thursday May 13th she went to pick up our daughter from school. Turned car off while waiting. Went to crank back to come home and would not start. I got on computer and seen the 10 minute trick. I tried it and it worked perfect. Everything has been fine up till yesterday May 17th. She was pulling in driveway and the car cut off. Hasn't cranked since. I have tried the 10 minute deal several times but with no success. I do notice that the theft security light is on but not blinking this time. It stays on steady. I think my problem has to be in the theft security/computer because of the 10 minute deal working on thursday. If anyone out there that can tell me where the crankshaft sensor is located on my 3.1 v6. please e-mail it to me or if you have any other help or suggestions. Thanks, debusk

Last edited by debusk; May 23rd, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I think it is the fuel pump, mine did the same thing the anti theft light was on but it wasn't blinking, and the check engine light was not on, which made me think it was the theft thing also but it wasn't, it was the fuel pump.
Old August 10th, 2010, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default check fuel pressure

You can check the fuel pressure. there is a little valve, called a schrader valve, located on top of the engine. it looks like a tire air valve with a cap. I have a gauge, but in a pinch, I take a small screw driver in the valve to depress the little pin. If it sprays hard you have have good pressure. Be careful, I did this at a neighbor's house and got gas in my face over the weekend. Yuck! I gauge is a better test because it tells you how good the pressure is. low pressure wil result in a no start as if there is no pressure.
Also, on my 'bu, I sprayed starting fluid into the intake by removing the EGR hose from the intake. if it starts for a few seconds, you definitely have a fuel issue. This can also be a problem with the fuel injectors, the ECM or the crank and cam sensors. borrow a 'noid light to test th esignal to th einjectors.
I guess you should take my advice lightly because I can't get my 'bu started at all! (insert expletive here)