Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 CHEVY PROBLEM (ELECTRIC)

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 CHEVY PROBLEM (ELECTRIC)

Alright guys, about three weeks ago I purchased a 98 chevy silverado 5.7L 350 vortec V8 . Automatic and push-button 4X4. It has 111,000 miles and runs great. Well about a week ago ago, Im driving down the road and I noticed that my radio cut off and all of the sudden I noticed the truck shut off. I put into neutral and started it back up and off i went. Well i kept it in the back of my mind and later that night when i went to crank it up in the driveway it idled real low and then again cut off. I figured out that to make it keep running i have to sit there for a while and let it idle at about 1000 rpms and warm up before im good to go. Well i ended up cleaning out the throttle body and for a while it seemed to work. Today as i beeped my horn at someone, it happened again. As soon as i hit the horn the radio cut off along with my lights and everything and then the car. Well then i started testing things out and i figured out that it will do it when i turn on my brights, signal to change lanes, beep the horn, and even still when i crank up. Does anyone have any idea whats going on. Any help would be awesome. Im getting ready to go off to college and need a truck that i can rely on to get me around town safely. Again, thanks for any advise. -JOSH
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 CHEVY PROBLEM (ELECTRIC)

Check the cables from the battery and make sure they are clean, in good shape and secure.
Also check the wiring at the alternater.