Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 k1500 wontstart when warm

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 k1500 wontstart when warm

hey guys got a good one for you.
ive got a 98 k1500 5.7, truck starts and runs fine in the morning but after its driven for awhile it tries to start to die. you can float the gas a little and keep it running and once your moving down the road its fine again. this problem is very intermitent, the truck doesnt throw a code either. ive had the computer scanned which ruled out the idle air valve. the mechanic said that the manifold pressure was a little low but wouldnt be causing the issue. the only thing i have to go on is the egr valve. i was told that in there old age a egr pintle valve can have a hard time closing when coming to a stop to shut off the air. i want to hopefulle get some more ideas about the issue before droping almost 200 bucks on a guess.

also if the truck does end up dying when coming to a stop the truck wont start for about ten mins or so. thats the only thing that points me towards the egr.

thanks in advance for any advice