Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'98 Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 engine swap/ build

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2015, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking '98 Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 engine swap/ build

Hello everyone!
I have decided to put a new engine in my baby. She currently has the 5.7 L Vortec that has 205,000 miles on it. Most of all of those miles are from the previous owner (I bought it at 198,000) and he towed very heavy trailers with this truck. Most of those miles are highway miles; just thought I'd add that. Some may think I'm crazy but I know the 5.7 L vortec doesn't do its best at power output. I do not feel like tearing into it and replacing the cam, rollers, intake manifold, and so on. The 5.7 L Vortec is a great engine with good torque down low but it suffers horsepower a lot, only putting out 255 hp max....that's just not good at all. It's a very reliable engine though but mpg sucks right now since I drive around town and barely get on the highway unless I'm on a trip

So....what are some good crate engines out there that will work with my truck?
If you're curious about other things on the truck then here:
Rear gearing: 3.73s w/ G80 locker (stock)
Transmission: 4l60e; automatic (rebuilt at 70k and had it flushed 200 miles ago)
Modifications so far: K&N air filter, dual 12 inch-glass packs

No, I rather not rebuild the stock engine. I want more performance under the hood! I've read a ton of people modifing the hell out of the orginal 5.7 and it's really stupid since it's not meant for that stuff. I would like to put a new 5.3 Vortec in it or a new 383 crate. If I get a carbureted 383, would it be possible to convert it over to efi? What kind of reflash will my PCM or computer need? I am not sure on the exact motor just yet but I will be soon. I do know that the transmission has its limitations and if I decided to throw in a carburatored engine then I will have to do a lot of modifications to the computer but I think it's best to keep it EFI. I could put a Holley efi intake on a carburatored engine but I dont know, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This will be a long project and nothing will be done anytime soon, I'm doing ALL of my research and homework first. Thanks guys!
Old February 27th, 2015, 2:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save yourself a lot of trouble and just trade it for a diesel.

Allan
Old February 27th, 2015, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Save yourself a lot of trouble and just trade it for a diesel.

Allan
Thanks for the reply. But I love this truck, it's been real good to me and I want to give it a new engine. I can't really afford another truck right now and I haven't messed with a diesel in years since my dad sold our old '88 Ford F-250. The truck is in reall good condition, no rust, or dents. Although one little scratch from rolling into the mailbox due to the ice on the driveway, lol. I can buff it out. But I rather not do that...
Old March 1st, 2015, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Well any more ideas guys? I seriously need some help on this build.
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

weigh your options with an engine swap. theres alot more performance you can do with that truck. look into upgrading the top and bottom end..youll be surprised with the horsepower that you can get with just doing a cam swap.