Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 Z71 will not start

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z71 will not start

Hey guys I am new to the forum. About a week ago my truck started getting harder to start I mean you would have to turn it over 4 or 5 times to start it.This past Monday it wouldn't start at all it would try to but never did.I changed the fuel filter and I had tried to crank it so much the battery got a little weak.I boosted it off and it started right up. Drove it around town and thought my problem was fixed.Turned it off and cleaned my tools up and got in it to pick up my son and it was the same thing all over again.Tried to start it and it would try but wouldn't start.The battery started to get weak again and when we connected the booster cables it started right up.The same thing again yesterday would not crank without cables. Another thing that is going on that the truck drives and runs smooth until you get down on it then it wants to choke down and sputter but it clears up when let off on the accelerator.

Last edited by my2boys; May 9th, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump is letting the fuel in the line bleed back into the pump. Could be the check valve built into the fuel pump is bad. But since you also have a problem when getting on it hard, you should change the pump. Do a fuel pressure check also.
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

checked fuel pressure 60 -65 pounds ran diagnostics and showed cam and crank senors codes.changed cam sensor, crank sensor and rotary button in distrubutor.Still doing the same thing you can crank it with a boost and it idols fine and runs fine until you floor it and then it smothers and doesn't want run.frustrating.