Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99, tranny problem? 4x4 problem? Please help

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99, tranny problem? 4x4 problem? Please help

Automatic transmission with the buttons for 4x4 shifting. Here are the symptoms: Starts, no lights come on by the 4x4 buttons, no message saying something is wrong, Will not engage in any gear, shift to D, R, 3 2 1, and nothing, Then when I shift it back to Park it makes a grinding noise like it is trying to shift. Also when I turn off the truck and leave in park the truck rolls backwards even if the parking break is on. The break pedal will hold it, but when turned off I have to have a couple blockes behind the wheels to hold it.

Last time I drove it: started it up, put in neutral and shifted it into 4wd low, backed it down snow covered driveway to create a path so other vehicles could go down or up the driveway easier, and drove it back up. Put in N again and shifted it back into 2wd high and put it in park. Turned off truck.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99, tranny problem? 4x4 problem? Please help

Sounds like the transfer case is in neutral. When it's grinding the gears, it's trying to go into gear, but cannot because the engine is turning. Try turning the ignition on and then trying to get it to shift into 2wdbefore starting the engine.
Old February 1st, 2008, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

could there be a problem with the shifter? Or the computer needs to be reset? I am hoping I don't have to have it towed. Any more suggestions? I need more things to try.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

A fuse was burnt out for the transfer case. Replaced it and now a light comes on saying service 4wd. Since there are no lights on the switch panel does that mean the panel needs to be replaced?