Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AC control questions

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2008, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC control questions

Have a '01 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3

Bought the truck about 3 weeks ago. One of the problems ive noticed is that the ac nor heat will blow out when the dial is set on fan speed #1. Works fine for the rest of the number.

Though sometimes when i turn it off, i think i still feel it blowing out slightly, almost like its on fan speed 1.

Another problem is when i sit still or first start the truck and let it sit and idle, the AC wont get cold. Just blows hot until i put it in gear and start driving.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a vac leak somewhere, but im not to familiar with these trucks yet. This is my 1st Chevy, owned nothing but fords before this.
Old September 7th, 2008, 8:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AC control questions

having 2000, which is same, i have 2 guesses for you:
1. close air flow through all the vents except driver side very left and center one. ALL, including ones in the rear.
this truck has inadequate air flow in blower 1 position. not enough for the size. but if it all works fine, you'll see in about 15 min, that 2 is too much, actually

2. your freon level is lowerish, so to speak. it works, just lacks enough juice. thus, when there's no air flow from driving, you have poor feon cooling/warm air blowing.
i'd add one small can of freon/oil mix to the system. JUST ONE!!! and the smallest they have. you overcharge it - you jamm it.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

i have a 2000 model and mine did very similar except 1 and 2 quit it was the blower motor resistor below the dash next to the motor there were burnt tracec on it as far as the rest im not too sure
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: ukrkoz

having 2000, which is same, i have 2 guesses for you:
1. close air flow through all the vents except driver side very left and center one. ALL, including ones in the rear.
this truck has inadequate air flow in blower 1 position. not enough for the size. but if it all works fine, you'll see in about 15 min, that 2 is too much, actually

2. your freon level is lowerish, so to speak. it works, just lacks enough juice. thus, when there's no air flow from driving, you have poor feon cooling/warm air blowing.
i'd add one small can of freon/oil mix to the system. JUST ONE!!! and the smallest they have. you overcharge it - you jamm it.
Closing all the vents and blower #1 i have nothing.

Ill have the A/C recharged at my work, see if that solves the other problem.