Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Aftermarket stereo on 2008 2500HD

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket stereo on 2008 2500HD

OK... now that we have that cleared up I have another question. My truck has an XM antenna already mounted on the roof. I would like to switch to Sirius. Can I use the XM antenna and just hook it up to the Sirius receiver? I am confused about the antenna currently on my truck because it does not look like any of the antennas on the market. Is the visible part just a cover?
Old October 22nd, 2008, 8:46 AM
CF Active Member

some people say yes you can others say no i personally have never tried everyone around here either sticks with xm or not at all in your situation anyway that antenna is multifunction its for xm and onstar thats why it dosnt look like any other
Old October 22nd, 2008, 7:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry, but I have Never hooked these up with an external speaker
Old October 22nd, 2008, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

wasnt trying to be rude or any thing i just have burned one up when the first released before they changed instructions with the external option they say to do that with any high power external amp
Old October 23rd, 2008, 9:48 PM
Banned

x1cn18, go to know man
as for the xm antenna....it will work for the sirius, you may have to get and adaptor for the cable though. If you've ever used a soldering iron before, you should be able to splice the cable end onto the factory cable to make it work.I have done this many times without an issue.And as x1cn18 stated, it is built into the onstar antenna that is on the roof on the drivers side
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:46 AM
CF Beginner

So the speakers shown in the diagram you posted are not the speakers that will be hooked up to the amp? I guess I'm a little confused because the wiring for the pac-os3 doesn't involve the amp at all. The sound from the module will be output to the receiver and the receiver will output to the amps.I will be running rca's from the receiver to the amps and speaker wire from the amps to the speakers. It appears from the diagram that I can just run wires from the os3 to the door speakers. The os3 obviously dosn't have enough power to hurt the speakers I'll be using and the audio from the os3 will not need to be amplified. Also, when I install the os3, my stereo will function just like the stock one in that it mutes the stereo when onstar is being used? Or will i need to turn off the stereo before I push the onstar button?

I have found a resolutin for the XM issue... XM now offers the "Best of Sirius" - so I will be keeping XM. I only wanted the NFL, Howard Stern and NASCAR anyway - could do without the Martha Stewart crap, though [:'(]
Old October 27th, 2008, 8:09 PM
CF Active Member

no the out from the os3 needs to go to an external speaker cause any high power feed will burn it up speaker outs on radio not used, rcas from radio to amps, speaker outs from amps straight to speakers, as far as external speaker ive always used one from radio shack just cut the plug off and wire to the left front out
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

x1cn18, shawnvw

The unit I'm going to install requires me to hook into 1) the speed signal lead 2) the reverse signal lead 3) the parking brake switch power supply lead. I really don't know why it wants me to connect to the parking brake - probably some safety thing that will not allow me to watch DVDs or searc for POIs unless the brake is on. Do you have any idea? It's a Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT. However, the reverse signal is so that it can get the cursor pointing in the rigt direction, and the speed signal is for dead reckoning purposes. I would like to be able to hook these up (especially the speed signal because ifit's not hooked up,the unit has a hard time correcting innaccuracies) but I have no idea which wires to hook up to. I'm sure the reverse signal would be easy enough to track down from the back of the truck, but with no wiring diagram, I don't even know where to start for the speed signal. Please help!!

Thanks again!
Old October 31st, 2008, 2:46 PM
Banned

Reverse will be if your addin a back-up camera to it. if your not putting one on, don't worry about hooking it up.
most integration modules will have a vss, handbrake, and reverse output on the module
Old October 31st, 2008, 9:57 PM
CF Active Member

actual speed signal is a green with a white stripe at the abs module under the cab on driver side in frame only one in the plug that color thats where i have to tap in cruise signal as far as reverse i wouldnt really worry about it unless you just want to i usually catch them under the hood in the harness that runs back i dont remember the color but should be the same as at the light the unit will actually work fine without them but if you feel like goin through the trouble go for it

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo on 2008 2500HD