Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

aftermarket xm radios

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2009, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket xm radios

Hey guys!

I am looking at installing a Pioneer Nav unit in my 2007 Silverado (NBS). while I am doing this, I thought about installing XM. I know I have to get a Pioneer XM reciever. Now comes my question, is there an adaptor that will allow you to use the factory antena the is already installed on the vehicle? I would prefere not to have that little bug stuck on my truck somewhere!

Thanks,

Matt Hamby
Old April 1st, 2009, 3:09 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if you modify the connector(cut the end off), it will plug right in, then a little tape should hold it into place. I have done this 5 or 6 times now without an issue
Old April 1st, 2009, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

So, let me see if I got this right - you are saying cut the plugs off each antena wire then splice the factory xm antena & the plug from the aftermarket reciever? Are they then just one wire & not a coaxial type antena? I don't have a problem with that - I just thought there would be more dificulty to it than that.

Also, I currently have a factory system w/o xm, however I do have OnStar. the factory radio I have is supposedly xm ready. Would the antena for the factory xm already be installed? My understanding is that the onlything missing is the reciever?

Thanks,

Matt Hamby
Old April 1st, 2009, 4:52 PM
CF Active Member

Search around on the net. There prolly is an adapter or something....there's gotta be.
Old April 1st, 2009, 9:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can cut and splice the coax if you want, but i meant the connector itself....just cut the bottom 2mm off and it clips right on. Then a little tape will ensure it doesn't fall off

If you do not currently have XM, you will not have an XM antenna. They make the onstar antennas with or without XM.

If you are really worried about the looks, you could buy an Onstar antenna with XM, install it, and splice the XM coax it into your unit.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

OK good to know, I was hoping that the antena was already there, but that's ok, I would prefere to use a stock antena, I don't like that "bug" - had one on my wifes van, when I traded it in on a 09 Malibu, there was rust! Not something I want, I also want something more perminent than a magnetic "bug" stuck to the cab of my truck, especially since there is a antena up there anyway. I appreciate the help.