Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

air intake

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake

Ok i've got a 92 c2500 with a 350sb using TBI, the question i pose to everyone is it better to have a higher airflow for the engine but at the cost of higher air temperature, or is it better to have colder intake air but with less available cfm, the equipment diff is a standard round air intake open to the engine temps, or the stock cold air intake that came with my truck.
Old September 13th, 2010, 6:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the more airflow the better.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:41 PM
CF Junior Member

even at the cost of inhaling all the hot air from the engine compartment? yet again it is a stock cold air intake, dang just dont know.
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Well, It is quid pro quo kinda... this for that.

each has their advantage and disadvantage. Getting cold air to the engine would be good, but at the same time, the more air you can get to the engine the better. However your are puting hot air into the the engine.

It is kinda up to you. I would call the manufacturer of each and ask what the expected power output is of each. IMO the difference won't be much.

I think taking their advantages and disadvantages into concideration... In the end either way you go will probably be just about
the same and you won't notice much of a difference if any.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; September 14th, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 2:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Its not a aftermarket cold air system, its actualy the stock model that came with my truck. Shoot if there is really difference then i will go back to the free flowing system, espcialy since we are heading into winter and my truck will get plenty of cold air plus i drive highway every day.
Old September 14th, 2010, 3:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Oh ok, lemme see if I got you correct... The truck came stock with a cold air intake,
and you wanna know if it is better to put a regular type of air filter system on because the other filter may let more cfm through.

The thing is that even if your CAI filter is smaller, the engine will only take in
as much air as allowed/needed without using forced induction (turbo or supercharger).
So even though your CAI may only let in xxxx cfm while the other lets in a little more,
without forced induction the engine will only take in as much air as needed and the
CAI even though it may be smaller, is still more than enough for what you need.
I suppose just keep the stock cold air intake on there.
I didn't thuroughly read your 1st post, sorry.

Also, CAI filters come in different lengths, the main sizes being about 6" and 9" I think.
If you are wanting more area, a 9 inch filter will give you over 90 cubic inches of filter space
which is more than enough area.

Sorry about the mixed answers, but I would just stick with the cold air intake you got on there now.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; September 14th, 2010 at 3:25 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Thats ok, yeah if you ever saw under the hood of a early 90's full size truck you would know what i am talking about, its a odd design, but on a brighter note i somehow (which has everyone dumbfounded) managed to increase my mpg from 14 to 18, and all i did at the time was replace my front bearings (bearings were just starting to show signs of wearing out), rotors, pads and calipers.