Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

are all 5.3's turds or just mine!

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2008, 5:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are all 5.3's turds or just mine!

Nelson performance woke my 5.3 up.

ive driven the hemi, not real impressed with it versus my Vortec max. all chevys need a custom tune with TM removed to make them compariable to other full size trucks.

i was happy with my 5.3 after the tune until i got my 6.0, my 6.0 runs 100% better than my 5.3 with the tune did. bad thing is i have to run 93 octane in my 6.0.

if you are under warrenty you might consider keeping your pcm and paying the core charge. it will void your warrenty if GM can prove the tuning caused damage, and from what i read, GM is getting alot more strict on this.

good luck
Old November 10th, 2008, 5:41 PM
CF Junior Member

nelson performance have aweb site or something i can look into it?....thnks again!!
trevor
Old November 10th, 2008, 5:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Here is a thought. You might like the idea of not burning the tires off after you price them. As far as the gears I have the 373 it does not burn the tires but it does go once you get going.So gears are not the problem.
Old November 10th, 2008, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

my 08 ext. cab z-71 runs great, if yours is so gutless why'd ya buy it?
Old November 13th, 2008, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: are all 5.3'

i bought the truck after a couple of low lifes from the "d" stole my ram you might have seen it on the local news stations in the detroit area. i never had a full size chevy before just a couple of s-10s with 4.3s those had more power, as far as tires i pay only cost on them, i leased my truck and the 6.0 the dealer didnt have so i settled on the 5.3 figured "how bad could it be" the truck has never been out of two wheel. i did get a hold of nelson and blackbear as some of you suggest still looking for what might suit me the best, was able to get the lowering kit for it 2/4 i think it will give it a real sporty look once installed.the truck is turning out to be a good project its really keeping me busy looking up differt things for it i already have the windows done and the stereo swapped out for a dvd head unit and two tens under the rear seat, the cai has made little difference to milage as it was quoted on the box have looked at exhaust but waiting on what type computer upgrade im going with some of those say you cant run stock so im waiting.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: are all 5.3'

Most of these stock truck applications are for work, and it sounds like you want to turn money into noise. Get a CAI, Dual Exhaust,Headers, Custom Tuned CPM, 410 or 456 gears, and just kiss any sane gas mileage expectations goodbye. Best of luck.
Old November 13th, 2008, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

hi im wonderin if a ls1 cam 202/210 .496/.496 would give me a significant power increase in my 01 5.3 sierra as well as low end torque increase? thanks
Old November 14th, 2008, 8:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Damn I did not know that you could get tires for cost. Well you should burn them up then. That sounds like something my 20 year old would say.
Old November 14th, 2008, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

well bubba33 im only 30 and id like to do all that you said plus pull my trailer with all my toys on itim just trying to get the truck to the point that i like it. i live for today not 10 years down the road you never know when its you time to go.so live it up! and gas is not an issue for the fact im only 6 teths of a mile from work, the only time i have to worry about mpg is when i go up north to ride. besides you think i spendind alot on the truck just this summer i spent 5400 on a turbo and other things for my 06 yamamha apex thats why i have to watch what i spend on up grades for the truck or the wife will have my butt. tires dont wear out in a day
Old November 14th, 2008, 9:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If there was a cheaper,easier way, don't you think we'd all be doing it?

Quick Reply: are all 5.3's turds or just mine!