Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

With all the recalls why not brake and fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2014, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With all the recalls why not brake and fuel lines

With all the Chevy and GM recalls am amazed GM isn't recalling there trucks for brake failure=rusted out line and fuel lines. GM is giving there customers deep discount on parts for brake line $500 kit, doesn't help me I paid $2200 for nickel copper lines that won't rust once and done, GM won't help. Sad the discount helps but the dealer said 2 days to replace line and brake calipers and flex lines, for $3000 ouch what they give you for parts discount the dealers make up in labor. So far to date my 2002 ext cab 4x4 with 95k yes its original, well cared for we replaced to date brake line, fuel lines, both front hubs due to corrosion and anti lock break being part of the hub, can corners and rockers almost $7K in 3 years. My 1988 had none of these problem except the cab corners wheel wells but I didn't throw this kind of money at my 88 as my 02. It would be nice if GM would you better material on brake and fuel line (yes I would pay more for this ) I love my Chevy but when time comes I will look hard at other trucks brands and there longevity . I hope GM is listening to there customers not there wallets.
Old May 29th, 2014, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

any 10year old plus vehicle from any manufacturer will need brake and fuel lines if you live in the rust belt. If you live in the rust belt you need to undercoat every year. $100 per year may have saved you the $7000.
all manufacturers have taken note. New vehicles have lines that come encased in a plastic coating.

for the most part manufacturers don't care about the small volume of cars that are sold in the rust belt. Its a small volume of cars compared to the rest of the planet. cars don't rust in texas and they buy a lot of cars.

Last edited by tech2; May 29th, 2014 at 7:58 PM.