Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Alternator/Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2015, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator issues

this seems to be a common problem which I haven't figured out the true underlining problem.
My alternator charges my batter fine when running however when it is shut off it drains the battery. I suspect the internal diode is shorted and causes the battery to drain through the alternator coils back to ground.
Testing this theory using an amp meter I was able to record almost 10 amps of current flow. When i took the alternator in for testing it read good , however after proving the short with an ohm meter connected to the terminal and the case, they replaced it.
This solved the problem for a while, which has now returned, Luckily Advance auto has a good return policy as this will be my third alternator within the year.
So my question is what dictates how much or how hard the alternator needs to work, I think this could be the root cause. A GM mechanic told me that the computer controls the charging rate, would I have to replace the alternator and the computer? anyone else have a similar issue on a 2004 Chevy?
Old January 27th, 2023, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been having the same problem with my Silverado thought it was the battery so I bought a new battery and an alternator just in case I was wrong. I’m sure hoping that after the alternator is installed that the problem goes away. Thank you this actually helped me out big time.