Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AMSOIL?? Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 5:21 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMSOIL?? Synthetic?

Alright, I figured I would start a big controversy by asking the question that causes terrorism, disruption, divorce and breakup... Why should I switch to AMSOIL synthetic?

I was talking to an AMSOIL rep the other day and while talking to him a guy came up and said that when he switched every one of his fluids and filters to AMSOIL in his 04 Z-71, he improved from 16mpg to 21mpg. I live on a farm so I figured if we could get the $20/yr AMSOIL membership and buy their stuff at wholesale, we would be able to save some money on the three trucks, 2 cars, 3 tractors, 2 lawnmowers, and a quad that run off this stuff let alone all of the two stroke stuff. I just don't know if the upfront cost would eventually pay for itself or not?!?!?

And I like a little TAME discussion here and there
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

You would definately recoup the $20/yr buying it wholesale.
I guess you'll have to try it yourself to see if you get better gas mileage. Reps will lie to make a sell.
Old April 6th, 2009, 7:23 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

The increase in price on the filters and oil is what worries me because I don't know if I have the heart to go 25,000 miles on anything
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just CONSIDERING a 4 to 6 MPG improvement is enough to get me started. I'd do it for a .5MPG increase.

That is, if I can find somebody who'll sell me the stuff... ...apparently Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and Auto Zone don't sell it.

I personally have seen enough testimonials about synthetics(the real ones)from those who have nothing to sell or gain.

Besides, as I slowly slip into geezerhood, I grow increasingly weary of crawling under this truck every 3K miles. It would actually be cheaper, labor aside, from merely a parts and oils costs point of view, to go AMSOIL.

Last edited by therewolf; April 6th, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 1:32 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

See thats the kind of thing I was looking at hearing. I got some literature from the guy for you Rivereye. The way it works is they ship it to you when you are a member and you buy at wholesale price which is like a $3/qt savings
Old April 6th, 2009, 6:29 PM
CF Active Member

Try it. Tell me how it is. I will try it when I finally have to change my oil (4500 away). I don't know though. I might just go with royal purple. I have an uncle that swears it's good enough to drink. I'm using valvoline right now, so any real synthetic might be better than what I have. Still don't know about the whole synthetic not being synthetic thing.
Old April 6th, 2009, 9:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, let me put it this way. Been using Amsoil oils in various cars and applications for what, 5 yrs so far? So, 4-6 mpg improvement is old sick mule's turd.
But! I just checked my oil yesterday - and on my book, it is still good to go for another 2K miles. That's with 14K already since the last oil change and engine running like a Swiss clock.
My wife's RX300 does not burn Amsoil at all. Just does not. It goes mid caramel in color in about 12K miles, then I just change it just because.
Maybe because of this?
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

Now, please, keep in mind, for yrs I said - there's no oil but the Best Oil and Royal Purple is its profit. Not anymore. AMsoil does work better. Scary expensive on the first glance, but, if you really calculate it, it is more cost efficient than regular oils.
Old April 6th, 2009, 9:51 PM
Super Moderator

AMSOIL IS A SCAM!!!! If they are so good then why is there not one major parts store that sells it? They do their oil test on a four ball experiment to see how it wears with the metal ***** moving at different rpms, while it tested for better antiwear at first compared to other oils it did not after just 1000 miles!!!! A company called redline did this test and amsoil did do better w/ the four ball test. But redline came up with a realyy interesting test they actually tested the oil in a running engine(weird huh?) they tested there oil and amsoil in different engines different cars at the same mileage at first amsoil was way better but after just 1000 miles amsoil did not test good at all had broke down real fast. So yes amsoil is the best if you change your oil every 100 miles go ahead add it up its not worth the money. I have used quaker state 4x4 torque and power oil and a k&n oil filter for awhile and my truck almost has 250,000 miles on it with 135 compression still.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Default you are clueless

1st... AMSOIL is the most heavily tested and proven synthetic on the market, although there are other great ones out there.

2nd...AMSOIL is used by more commercial fleets, as well as police departments than any other synthetic, with literally hundreds of millions of miles on them, with simply amazing results.

3rd....just send out a used AMSOIL sample from any vehicle to ANY independent lab, proof positive it works as it claims.

You sound like you are spouting some baseless crap you read on someones website that has no basis in fact....
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

They do do testing you are right my friend!! And no need to get cocky we are not fighting!!! anyways who told you all this info? A sales man? or their website? And buy the way I did read this on a website!!! Redlines web site another oil manufacturer who was dogged for failing amsoils so called four ball test!!! So instead of taking it they did their own test as i described!! By the way are you an amsoil salesman is that why you took so much offense? Sorry to offend you man its a discussion if you cant handle it leave!!!

Quick Reply: AMSOIL?? Synthetic?