Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Extended Warranty

Hello All:

I purchased a 3 year 100k warranty when I bought my truck in May. So far I have about 22k on the truck, I've had a few minor problems, but none with the drivetrain. I want to say I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 3k for my extended warranty. I spoke with my dealership today and they of course told me that the warranty I purchased was much more comprehensive than the one GM recently announced.(sales job??) It is my understanding this recent new warranty is not the same warranty we have up until 36K but is limited to only the drivetrain. Also, it is my understanding that none of the computers/modules are covered under the drivetrain warranty. Are other people out there in my shoes and if so what do you plan on doing.
Old September 8th, 2006, 1:01 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: GM Extended Warranty

From what I could ascertain from the website re: new warranty was that it is in addition to the 3/36.
Old September 8th, 2006, 1:22 AM
CF Junior Member

From my understanding, the 5yr 100k factory warranty only covers internal lubricated parts. So no it is not going to cover anything electrical. Depending on what level of coverage you purchased you may or may not have more coverage. Do you know if it is a 3yr 100k GM Major Gaurd?
Old September 8th, 2006, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like all of the incentives are old news.......heard GM is now advertizing 100k factory warranties on new vehicles!
Old September 8th, 2006, 4:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This should answer all of your questions regarding the new 5/year 100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

Terms and Conditions:
2007 Supplement to the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet
For 2007 Passenger Car and Light Duty Truck and Van models

In addition to the Vehicle Coverage described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet, General Motors will warrant each 2007 model year passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:
Engine

Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case

Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.
Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.
Courtesy Transportation Program

During the warranty coverage period, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses will be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owners Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.
What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.
Roadside Assistance Program

General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms., whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

For 2007 model year passenger car, light duty truck and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan, Saturn Service Plan or Saab) is available through your dealer/retailer. These are the only plans recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details.
Copyright © 2006 General Motors Corporation
Old September 8th, 2006, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

Dave:

Do you think I should keep my warranty then?

Thanks,

Jason
Old September 8th, 2006, 7:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GM was concerned while deliberating this idea because of the exact issue that you present and that is a customer that has already purchased a 2007 vehicle along with an extended warranty.
Here are a couple of ideas that may help you:

Most GM warranty claims do not involve power-train repairs.

You can get a refund on the extended warranty if you wish but most warranty companies will pro-rate the refund and also ding you for an administrative charge which can make the amount of the refund substantially less than the amount that you paid for the service contract, and if the vehicle is financed in most cases the refund check is sent to the lien holder and not the buyer.

Dealers are now offering what is a called a “wrap coverage” extended warranty that does not cover the power-train but will cover all the other items, they typically run 30-50% less than a full blown extended warranty and you may be able to negotiate an exchange with your selling dealer were they will switch you over to the wrap and give you a refund of a portion of your extended warranty, but you may need to wait a week or so until the dealers have had some time to figure out exactly how to handle this dilemma.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM
CF Active Member

Dave:

Thank You much. You sir, are an asset to this forum.

Thanks,

Jason
Old September 9th, 2006, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Last weekend I went into the dealer to cancel my 5 year 100K extended warrany and the dealership talked me out of it. Based on the fact that with all the advancements in computer technology that run these vechiles, if a wire burned out or a system went on the firtz and had to be replaced it would be pretty costly to replace these parts. Based on that fact I am keeping it. For example, say for some reason your radio/nav system went bad, it would cost at lease 1500 to replace it and according to the GMPP it would all be taken care of for free (or what ever you deductible is), and you have road side assistance the entire time and they will cover a rental vehicle based on the time needed for the repair.

After talking with the dealer on more time I feel more comforatable about having the extended plan than thinkng that it was a was of money. Every car I have owned has had something fry on it, so chances are something will happen, I am just not hopeing that it does.

....and Dave kudos again for all your good info.
Old September 10th, 2006, 1:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Just got my letter advising that the now standard 100k powertrain warranty has been extended to my 07 Tahoe
Pretty cool since that wasn't the fact when I bought it in May