Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AMSOIL?? Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is like deja-vu....lol

I am not an AMSOIL salesman and never have been, but have used it for years and years and currently use it in a fleet of police cars that go 25k between oil changes, as do other departments I work with. These cars typically go 100k-150k before being retired and it is done without any engine overhauls. I have seen these engines broke down after retirement and they are amazingly clean. I have used 0w-30 Severe Duty in my own cars for years and get higher mpgs and get to go 25k between oil changes. Granted it cost $100 when I do change it, but it is worth the time savings.

Wasnt trying to offend you friend, but your statements make it obvious you havent done any research on this. Redline is a good product but a competitor of AMSOIL, what do you expect them to say? Look at independent research or ask those that use the products.

Where most companies would kill to get on a Walmart shelf, AMSOIL is famous for being one of only a handful of companies that Walmart ASKED to carry, but were refused. Typically Walwart (or Autozone or PEPboys) doesn't sell high end mechandise....motor oil included. Same reason you cant buy high end race car parts at the above stores, not their market. AMSOIL historically focuses on educating their users and can't do that by selling at a big box store.

I apologize for sounding upset as it wasnt my intention. Just heard your argument before and it has never held up to scrutiny.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just saying i spend only about 40 bucks for quaker state synthetic and a k&n filter and my truck has 250000 miles on it and 135 compression new motors only have 150 I mean yes amsoil is a good oil but worth the money??? In my opinion and i think my truck is proof as are so many others that amsoil is not worth the money!
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
im just saying i spend only about 40 bucks for quaker state synthetic and a k&n filter and my truck has 250000 miles on it and 135 compression new motors only have 150 I mean yes amsoil is a good oil but worth the money??? In my opinion and i think my truck is proof as are so many others that amsoil is not worth the money!
You hit the nail on the head....you have stated an OPINION. That having been said your truck is proof you maintained it well and QS worked well for you. (as previously stated, there are many good products on the market) If you have never used AMSOIL, then your truck has no say in whether AMSOIL works or not.

In the long run, you spend alot more on oil than I do, as i only have to change mine once a year.

I have no issue with your claim that QS is good oil, I trust that it is although I have never used it. But you have no basis to trash AMSOIL except that QS worked well in YOUR truck....not sure I see the corelation.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

I have used amsoil in my 85 chevy. But what I am saying is why spend the money I use quaker state twice a year so in the long run I am not spending more money. QS's 4x4 torque power is synthetic and it last forever. When i used amsoil in my 85 chevy after 10,000 it was so broke down i didnt trust it. what do you use thickness wise for your oil? Sorry little off subject but what i want to know if having a ton of miles i should move to a thicker oil?
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
I have used amsoil in my 85 chevy. But what I am saying is why spend the money I use quaker state twice a year so in the long run I am not spending more money. QS's 4x4 torque power is synthetic and it last forever. When i used amsoil in my 85 chevy after 10,000 it was so broke down i didnt trust it. what do you use thickness wise for your oil? Sorry little off subject but what i want to know if having a ton of miles i should move to a thicker oil?
Just curious as to why you say it "broke down"? Only way to tell that is to have it lab tested.
As for what I use, I drive later model vehicles and use 0w-30 severe duty Amsoil. Higher weights dont seem to lubricate a daily driver any better, but do cost you some gas mileage.

Glad the QS has done its job for you. I dont think any amount of hard evidence, testing or testimonials would change your mind about oil so I wont continue to try, sounds like the QS marketing guys did a good job. Gonna get some shut eye...
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

My father did a good job not the marketing guys he has used QS for years!!! Have a good one man!
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

oh hell, well there it went....
Another Amsoil debate.

Last edited by EvansBlue; April 7th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old April 7th, 2009, 7:03 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

See I really love reading these kinds of debates, It offers many different perspectives on one subject with a little bit of emotion involved. I do beleive that someone (cough* Suzuki Guy cough*) needs to tone down their posts a little it and not be so offensive, Blatantly calling someone an idiot online in words where no one can tell if you are kidding or not really doesn't come across real well at all. Otherwise, LET THE DISCUSSION CONTINUE!
Old April 7th, 2009, 9:02 AM
CF Active Member

Where did he call him an idiot? I had to read the whole thing twice and I still haven't found it. Of course, I'm not exactly the one who completely reads everything perfectly. I usually see misspellings and things such as that and overlook actual words. I love how everyone's differing opinions mix in discussions like this. The way I see it, Mr. Suzuki made his claim. Cop had beef and made his claim. Cop did seem to take offense to Suzuki's claims, but I don't think he actually did take offense. He just comes across that way. Just gotta know him. It's hard to understand someone's feelings in writing. They both are right. For Cop, AMSOIL is perfect. For Suzuki QS is perfect. They agreed to disagree. They be done.

As for me...My 1996 blazer that I used to have went 150k with conventional until in spun a bearing. Then I put an extra 100k on a 2001 motor that prolly had about 70k to begin with and never had a problem. I (most of the time) used synthetic. It ran great all the time and I felt the motor would last at least another 150k without a problem. If you use conventional, change it every 5000. If you use synthetic, you can wait much longer. My uncle has used royal purple forever. He says he changes it every 12k but changes the filter every 6k. He has put over 200k on his motor without a single problem. My 1998 has almost 185k and the previous owner used synthetic but changed it every 3k. The engine shows no problems. And runs strong, too.

ALSO: Why would a company not want to sell their product in as many locations possible? They would have much higher sales if you could actually buy the stuff.

Last edited by 98white5.0; April 7th, 2009 at 9:12 AM.
Old April 7th, 2009, 9:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 98white5.0
Where did he call him an idiot? I had to read the whole thing twice and I still haven't found it. Of course, I'm not exactly the one who completely reads everything perfectly. I usually see misspellings and things such as that and overlook actual words. I love how everyone's differing opinions mix in discussions like this. The way I see it, Mr. Suzuki made his claim. Cop had beef and made his claim. Cop did seem to take offense to Suzuki's claims, but I don't think he actually did take offense. He just comes across that way. Just gotta know him. It's hard to understand someone's feelings in writing. They both are right. For Cop, AMSOIL is perfect. For Suzuki QS is perfect. They agreed to disagree. They be done.

As for me...My 1996 blazer that I used to have went 150k with conventional until in spun a bearing. Then I put an extra 100k on a 2001 motor that prolly had about 70k to begin with and never had a problem. I (most of the time) used synthetic. It ran great all the time and I felt the motor would last at least another 150k without a problem. If you use conventional, change it every 5000. If you use synthetic, you can wait much longer. My uncle has used royal purple forever. He says he changes it every 12k but changes the filter every 6k. He has put over 200k on his motor without a single problem. My 1998 has almost 185k and the previous owner used synthetic but changed it every 3k. The engine shows no problems. And runs strong, too.

ALSO: Why would a company not want to sell their product in as many locations possible? They would have much higher sales if you could actually buy the stuff.
I love to debate, as if that was in doubt. And I know there are lots of different products that work well for people and their particular situation. I get a little miffed sometimes whe I hear, "Hey man! I have always used Brand X and I love it, so your stuff sucks!!!"
In some of these dicussions I actually feel like I loose IQ points for even engaging the person (not referencing you Suzuki Guy)

As far as why they dont sell at big retailers??? Not sure there. I know AMSOIL is set up as a network marketing company. Amway for instance has some awesome products, but they too refuse to sell in stores, so does Avon and others even though they have some great products... for them I guess their system works.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL?? Synthetic?