Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AMSOIL?? Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess if it works, stick to it. It seems to work for the companies you mentioned above.
Old April 7th, 2009, 5:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did not call anyone an idiot!!!! me and the copper just had a good debate.
Old April 7th, 2009, 7:05 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Yeah sorry about that, I was reflecting on what I had read without actually reading it . C'mon I ain't perfect, I guess I was reading your posts with a hostile viewpoint Suzuki, Sorry

So anyone else use this stuff??
Old April 7th, 2009, 8:07 PM
Super Moderator

its ok man you were right at the begining when you said it would start a big contreversy!!! LOL
Old April 7th, 2009, 8:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got skin peeling off my forehead from all the heat here...

anyway, here's my short story:
in 2002 I was forced to buy a new vehicle from dealership. we put 54K miles on it year one. that is, divided by 52 weeks, average of 1000 plus miles a week.
That translates into oil changes every 3 weeks, basically, at "3K miles oil change" mentality. it was brutal financially and labor time wise.
So, I looked into synthetics. Royal Purple came number one in research, so I tried it. First time I did this, I thought I killed the damn engine - so quietly it was running, standing next to it.
Then, I found that I can go 10K miles on RP, and it does well. Basically, I simply changed oil when I started hearing slight rockers crunch noise.
Then, I went through several yrs of ordering RP in bulk, as I had it running in, basically, all of our non-oil taking cars.
Then, I came across the article I posted in my previous post. So, I gave guy a credit and tried AMsoil.
It became a come and go relationship. But, ultimately, oil itself lasts much longer, under the circumstance of engine running quietly and no noises coming from rockers. No grit on fingers either.
I am slowly increasing mileage on my truck with Amsoil. I did 10K, now am closing on 15K. I am aware it is rated for 25K. I'll get there some day.
As of conventionals, back in my "3k oil change" times, I tried every single oil they had on the shelf. M1 ain't worth a penny on my book. For oil takers, I firmly lean towards QS. It is a good oil. The rest of them - black tar in 3-4K miles.
Why they don't sell it in chain stores? Because chain stores sell made in China - CHEAP stuff - for those content with buying cheap stuff for their vehicles. Amsoil always been very expensive. So, it's not quite on their scope.
I buy mine - surprise - from a local Chevron gas station.
As of $$ - well, my oil change, with flush, with M1 filter and Amsoil, is around $75 I believe. At 15K miles between changes, it is more cost efficient than 3 oil changes with other synth brands, or 5 changes with "3K" oils.
Now, with due respects, I don't even look on them cheapo oils. I use Supertech from Wallimart for flushing, at $4.5 a gallon, that I do. FLUSHING. Not driving on it.
I know one thing too well - cheap gas and oil will cost me grossly down the road in repairs. I worked on too many immigrants engines, when folks do whatever's the cheapest in the area. I saw what SLUDGE looks like.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Why they don't sell it in chain stores? Because chain stores sell made in China - CHEAP stuff - for those content with buying cheap stuff for their vehicles. Amsoil always been very expensive. So, it's not quite on their scope.
I'm sorry, but I have personally never seen "Made in China" on a oil bottle.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CF Active Member

Haven't seen "made in china" on the milk I buy from walmart either. Not everything is made in China. I've begun my own push to buy US made items. I will pay twice the price to get something made in the US as opposed to something made in china. More people need to do this. We wouldn't be in our economic situation if we bought US made goods.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

you state a good point i spend more money on us made stuff to get quality and to support my country. or i could buy chinese made crap and replace it sooner then us made quality goods.
Old April 8th, 2009, 7:22 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

You guys seem to be on the same page as me. Here is a book that will scare the (*&^(* outta you. I have never actually read it all the way through because I get though a page or two and I just want to nuke Beijing right then and there. It's called The Coming China Wars by Peter Navarro and it is a great book. He has done research at the University of something and with a team and found out why China is succesful, you know why?? Because what they do illegal
Old April 8th, 2009, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, this has been a great thread. I'm ready to go out and convert to Amsoil right now. 167,000 miles on my truck and many more to go.

First question, what do you guys recommend for engine flush? I have a ticking hydraulic lifter that might clear up if I can clean it out. It leaks down when the engine sits for a few hours. When starting cold it will tick for a minute and then clears up.

Second, have any of you installed the Amsoil remote bypass filter?

Thanks

Dave Cover

Quick Reply: AMSOIL?? Synthetic?