Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Another exhaust question..

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another exhaust question..

New here.2007 silverado NBS, 5.3. Looked through the forum at the other exhaust questions and found a partial answer to my own question. In an effort to save some $$, what are the positives and negatives to installing a super 40 muffler on the stock tubing with only one outlet? Will I still get a decent HP increase? How should it sound compared to new tubing with dual outlets?

Old May 7th, 2008, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Another exhaust question..

Also what about the new flowmaster super 44? Anyone know anything about it?
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Another exhaust question..

Welcome to the forum!!! You will get a HP increase by just replacing the muffler but not as much as a catback system with mandrel bent pipes. As far as sound what are you looking for? There are many different things you can do to exhaust to change the sound.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Same ?. Im looking for nothing really loud like a cherry bomb extreme but id like something with a deep roar but not loud if I decide to floor it.
Old September 13th, 2012, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Exhaust ,Catback or Crap?

I have a 07 Tahoe 4wd 5.3l and I could not decide from the Magnaflow, Corsa, Borla choices for cat back exhaust.
I have been studying the cat back designs..ad naseum. I decided to first try the standard muffler replacement with the flowmaster 42443, $110 installed save $1000 and just see if I can live with it, see i am a lowkey kinda guy and i saw that the resonator is a straight through design and the 2.75 inch muffler pipe is plenty big to move exhaust through, i will just replace the restrictive muffler and see what Happens. Well so far it has been awesome, low rumble growl and at throttle it will really scream. My 5.3 has really come alive. I am going to run a few tanks of gas through her and decided if the cat back is really just a flimflam or is there something really to it. Ever since I had my first truck, 1978 Chevy Scotsdale 4x4 and ordered my dual exhausts from JC whitney. I have been hooked on the custom exhaust craze, well now I gonna try and quiet those demons and take a real unbiased approach.
What are your thoughts, Catback or Crap???
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM
CF Junior Member

I would do catback if you have the money. It'll let your engine breath better. Do it with mendrel bends at 2.5
Old September 20th, 2012, 8:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How will a cat back exhaust help it breath better? The stock exhaust pipin will support up to 550 hp give or take. You don't need a cat back for any reason. Replace stock muffler with muffler of choice. Magnaflow IMO
Old September 21st, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

I ran a true dual setup from the cats back with 2.5in piping and some full boar 1 chamber race mufflers(generic flowmaster 10s) dumped before the axle. And my local exhaust shop charged me 65 bucks to install it and furnish the piping. I had 130 bucks in the whole system and it was the best upgrade yet. The truck is loud and has a deep sound. buhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-3-CENTER-IN-OUT-HIGH-FLOW-1-CHAMBER-FULL-BOAR-RACE-MUFFLERS-10-Series-/251144319291?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item3a795e313b&vxp=mtrt