Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Anyone know how to remove a broken power steering pulley?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to remove a broken power steering pulley?

I have a 95 3/4 ton silverado and I was using a power steering puller to take the pulley off. Well, the lip of the pulley broke and the screw for the tool is stuck in the pump (axel).

It looks like taking off the pulley is the only way to get the pump off, is this true? If so, how can I get the pulley off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 17th, 2008, 3:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Anyone know how to remove a broken power steering pulley?

Welcome to the forum!!! I am giong to asume that you are trying to take the power steering pump out, you should be able to take the belt off the engine and the pump should unbolt right out.
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are probably have to get a large gear puller that will grab the outer edges of the pulley or use some kind of wedges behind the pulley. As you know it's just a force fit, so just force it off. Too much force and you may ruin the pump (if it't not already runied), so go as easy as you can.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

why are you taking the pully off?do you already have the pump out of the truck ?is the pump shot ?if the pump is shot and you are trying to change the pully ,you may have to use a clam shell bearing puller with any approite shim's with through threded rod's to the puller and lightly heat the pulley were it goes over the shaft to relax the press fit .it's hard to guess whith out knowing what you are trying to accomplish .