Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

aux battery question on 02 4x4

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2007, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aux battery question on 02 4x4

I'm new to the forum... I have been wandering around Google trying to track down information on using the aux battery on my Chevy truck and I noticed, when I came across this forum, there were some experienced people willing to share their knowledge...

I have an 02 Silverado reg cab 4x4 that I recently installed a custom fiberglass camper on. The truck has dual batteries with a TP2 dual battery code. I would like to wire my camper for 12v and of course not drain the starting battery when using juice from the aux battery. I want both to charge when the engine is running but only drain the aux battery for use in the camper.
I found what I believe is a relay located on the firewall by the aux battery and the manual says, "when using this provision, connection should only be made to the upper stud (A) of the relay."
My questions are,
[ul][*]1. does this relay act as a battery isolator?,
[*]2. do I literally run a 10-12 ga wire from that point back to the camper?,
[*]3. where would I connect for the negative side of the camper circut?,
[*]4. any idea where I might find more information on wiring a camper using this TP2 duall battery setup?[/ul] I would greatly appreciate any information. Friends have tossed out terms like "battery isolator" or "battery switch" but I would like to understand and start with what Chevy had in mind before I start modifying anything. Thanks.
Old October 14th, 2007, 5:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aux battery question on 02 4x4

i'd treat it like a boat and run both red and black 10 ga. wires from the aux. battery ,to a fuse block installed somewhere in the camper. now you will have provisions for all new circuits. the aux battery needs to be switch with the main battery from time to time, to get max life from both. with this set up you will be able to run a power inverter as well. check manufacture for wire size and length.