Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Battery or Alternator...How do I know?

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or Alternator...How do I know?

Haven't been dring my 2002 1500 hd lately and had to jump start it to fire her up. Let it warm up in the driveway for about 15 minutes, but seemed to be idling slower than normal. Drove to town and it would die at stop signs, but luckily restarted. How do I know if one or the other is the problem? I thought by letting it run in the driveway for a while would bring the battery back to normal. Battery is only a couple years old??? Is there an idiot light on these trucks if it's an alternator? What do you think???? How often should a vehicle be started to keep the battery frwesh (daily, weekly, every few weeks)?
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to have them tested it is the only way to know for sure which is bad without throwing parts at it.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 3:15 PM
CF Active Member

Vehicle alternators are not designed to charge dead batteries, contrary to OUR popular belief. You should charge the battery with a good charger (preferably a good automatic trickle charger). This will ensure your not killing your alternator.

If you don't drive the vehicle a lot, you may want to explore a battery tender type of charger. This is an automatic trickle charger which you plug into your truck when it is not in use. It will maintain the battery's charge for months without burning it out. So when you want to use the truck, the battery is at it's best.

Also, batteries are only good for a few years. I usually replace them around the 3-4 year mark even if they are still good. After that time, the battery is a ticking time bomb which will fail when you need it most.

For now, I agree with MDTahoe and go to your local parts store and let them test both the battery and alternator. They can test both systems right there in the truck.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old October 24th, 2010, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

yea i sort of noticed that with my 99' 1500 silverado is doing the same thing but it thankfully hasnt died while i was at a stop light or something. it usually dies after i get to where i wanna go or after i return home. how much would it cost to get it tested? oh and on a side note it doesnt do this very often. just does it from time to time
Old October 24th, 2010, 7:20 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by chevysilvergirl
yea i sort of noticed that with my 99' 1500 silverado is doing the same thing but it thankfully hasnt died while i was at a stop light or something. it usually dies after i get to where i wanna go or after i return home. how much would it cost to get it tested? oh and on a side note it doesnt do this very often. just does it from time to time
Most auto parts stores do it for free because they want you to buy the parts from them.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update on battery

So I took the battery down to the local shop and they said one of the cells was dead....bought a new battery. I have a second vehicle with a battery issue as well. It's a 65 month rated battery and was bought three years ago. When it was hooked up to the tester it showed 10 amps and is supposed to be around 13? I am trying to trickle charge that one back to life so I'm not out two new batteries. The truck ran correctly after putting in the new battery and I'm chalking that up to an old battery. thanks for the replies.
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know kragan and auto zone have a special type of meter they hook up to your battery.
They tell you to start the car, turn the lights on etc etc and it tells you if something is wrong
With either your battery, alternator, or something else.

I purchased a kragan brand super start battery back in March and it is good.
I got the bigger option battery that had 1000 cold cranking amps so it would start up easier.
You were wondering how often to run your truck so this doesn't happen,
I rarely drive Silvy, only a couple of times a month and it starts up every time.
If the battery and everything is good in your truck, starting it or driving it around the block
At least once a month should be sufficient.
Old October 24th, 2010, 2:52 PM
CF Active Member

Your Welcome HD, glad it work out for you.

Eric