Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Battery Draining

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2008, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Draining

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and could use some help.

The problem is with the batterydraining overnight ina 94 2wd. I followed a great post by Golfer to try and diagnose the problem.

After checking all of the fuses (door closed, everything off) with a meter, I found the 20 amp CTSY fuse still had power. It controls the radio memory, so should it have power?

I am going to have the alternator load tested today. The guy at Autozone couldn't figure it out last night, and I am a novice with the multimeter.

Thank you,
Old March 29th, 2008, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Battery Draining

Welcome to the foum!!! Yes the radio memory should have power all the time. The radio should take so little that it should not drain the battery overnight, maybe after several months, but not over night. You may have a short somewhere that is the cause of you battery drain. How old is the battery?
Old March 30th, 2008, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response!

The battery is brand new. The alternator tested fine. I removed the CTSY fuse and the drain stopped. There must be a short in the radio or interior lights. Both seem to be working properly. It's a second vehicle/work truck so who needs a radio anyway. I wouldn't have any idea how to track the problem any further.

Thanks
Old March 30th, 2008, 8:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ID the wire that comes off the fuse and find its other end. Unplug it at that point and see if the drain stops. If it goes to the radio, for example, unplug the wire at the radio. If the drain stops, then your short is either in the radio or in the wire between the fuse and the radio. You can then measure to figure out which it is.