Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Bed liner on sides of truck, good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2012, 8:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed liner on sides of truck, good or bad idea?

I have a 99 z71 and I have the paint job of mauroon(think thats how its spelled) on top and the tan on bottom. I was thinking it would be cool and functional if I got some of that roll on bed liner and did the tan paint on bottom. I painted the grill black and black brush guard and have chrome exhaust tips cowboy cocked out the sides. Yall think it would look cool and I know i should sand the hell out of the tan but you think it would last without chipping or looking like crap because I know this is a all or nothing kinda thing.
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If prepped right, the roll on from auto parts store looks pretty decent and is pretty strong. But it's all about prep work. Do some searchin on google. There's quite a few people that have done it. Type "do it yourself bedliner gmfullsize" or "do it yourself bedliner duramax". That should pull some stuff up
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
CF Senior Member

I appreciate it man
Old September 27th, 2012, 4:25 PM
CF Active Member

I know this is quickly becoming a trend, but I don't get it. Why would you want to put this on your truck? To hide rust, protection from road debris, scratch protection offroading? You can't wax it, it doesn't shine, it's not smooth, and if you put the rubber bits in it you have to wash it with a brush. To me it looks like crap, and to a potential buyer (think future) it looks like it's hiding trouble. That said it's your truck and if that's what makes you happy then who cares what I think about it. Good luck to ya.
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:05 PM
CF Active Member

I did that roll on bed liner from autozone. My dad owns a body shop. We applied this stuff to the bed of the truck as a liner. Due to previous issues, we had to actually strip the bed down to the bare metal. We sanded it and used the listed chemicals to prep it for the liner. I can't imagine preping a surface any better. We then applied multiple thin coats by spraying them with a paint gun (as the directions stated).

The liner absolutely sucked. Routinely peeled off with any kind of use other than very light duty. Now, we also applied it to the bed rails. This also sucked. And let me tell you, every time it rained, i had black streaks down the side of my truck. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER do this again.

Now, my next truck came with the rhino lining already installed and was applied as a bed liner and bed rail covers. This is much thicker than the advance auto stuff. Does not chip off, and even doesn't leave black streaks down the truck when it rains.

Definitely pay for the rhino lining. Much stronger and doesn't leave black streaks.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Well i appreciate the posts back, not exactly what I wanted to hear but I appreciate it. Im 19 and have had this truck since i was 17 and plan to never sell this truck since I already did a motor swap couple months ago and alot of other work so selling is not a problem but ericnottelin has definitely got me second guessing. I might just have to get bored one day and just do it
Old September 28th, 2012, 6:58 PM
CF Veteran

i did it with cheaper duplicolor spray on on my rocker panels from day 1 when i used to offroad a lot it held up decent but not as thick as I'd like, so when i painted it i splurged a little. I don't think it looks bad at all but to each their own
Attached Thumbnails Bed liner on sides of truck, good or bad idea?-164660_474880087996_504482996_5830330_8260383_n.jpg  
Old September 29th, 2012, 6:51 PM
CF Active Member

Fishin, I know you can have the professional bed liner materials (ie line-x, rhino lining, etc) will install anywhere you want it. Just will cost you more. But, like cleveland said, the cheaper stuff is not nearly as thick and not as durable.

When i had the store bought stuff, even after all the prep work we did, i was still able to peal it off with my fingernails. Really not that durable. I always had to keep a spray can of bed liner handy for repair jobs.

With this current truck with the rhino lining, I have been much more abusive with it and have not had one issue with it. The crappy part, and again i know this first hand, is once you put that cheap stuff on, it is an absolute pain to try and get if off to put on the better stuff. I'm begging you, spend the extra for the professional stuff. I wouldn't wish what I went through (with the cheap store bought stuff) on my worst enemy.
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks cleveland and ericnottelin I will definitely take yalls advice and buy the good stuff because I don't want it to not be durable. That defeats my whole purpose. I will definitely buy the good stuff and thanks again for all the info
Old October 1st, 2012, 6:29 AM
CF Active Member

No prob bro, send pics and let us know how it works out.