Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Blower motor problem

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2006, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor problem

The blower motor only works on the number 5 settimg..
Suspect the resistor/relay box , the switch checked out OK..
How difficult is it to change the resistor block ..
Anyone know how much the resistor blocks costs..
Is this the correct name for this item.
Is this item located under the blower motor..
2002 chevie silverado
Thanks Barrie
Old December 21st, 2006, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Blower motor problem

I have had the blower motor resistor go in my 1995 chevy 2500 and it did the same thing...It is a $13 part and is farely easy to fix. In mine it was located under the passenger glove compartment in that area. It seats inside and you cant really see it as it sits ontop and is hard to get your hands in there. On mine it actually just blew for a second time in less than 6 months so now i suspect that it is the motor itself and I will hit up a junkyard and get the part for $20 hopefully.....goodluck hope that helps somewhat
Old February 1st, 2007, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Blower motor problem

Just changed the module.... Partially removed the cover and then there are two screws simply unplug and replug.... did it all with a 1/4" ratchet. 10-15 minute job.
Old October 4th, 2010, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the third time my blower has quit working. Last time I replaced the dash control unit, blower motor and resistor. Also patched in the replacement harness connector. I turn the fan **** all the way to 5 and I can here a relay click in the blower area. Before I tear this POS apart again any suggestions of the cause? Resistor blown again? Something else wrong since I hear a relay engaging? All fuses are good that I can see. 10 amp in cab fuse box and 40 amp under hood. 2005 Silverado HD2500 with manual dual zone cooling/heating.
Old October 4th, 2010, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

I used this site

http://store.the-electric-connection...unt2=286491036

I ordered the blower motor resistor and wiring harness and I was up and running in 20 minutes. They have different resistors so if you order make sure it is for your truck, the link here was for mine. I was told if you do not change the wiring harness then it will continue to blow through resistors because that was the problem with this design. The kit has everything you need except wire strippers and electrical tape.
Old October 4th, 2010, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Dee74, thanks but I am not looking for a parts source. I have replaced all of the parts early this summer. My question is has the resistor gone bad again? I keep reading resistor/relay used interchangeably. Is the high speed relay incorporated in the resistor pack? I did not hear a click when set to position 5 when the previous 2 resistor packs fried, but I do this time. Is there a separate relay I also need to replace? What is causing this to happen? As I stated I had a new panel control, resistor, harness and blower motor. Since this truck is in Arizona, is there a heat issue I am not seeing? This POS has caused me more problems than all my vehicles in the last 40 years combined.
Old October 4th, 2010, 4:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Did you check the fuses. If I remember correctly I had one fuse for speeds 1-4 and another for high speed 5. I am not near my truck but I am pretty sure that was the case. If I am wrong someone will chime in.
Old October 4th, 2010, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dee74
Did you check the fuses. If I remember correctly I had one fuse for speeds 1-4 and another for high speed 5. I am not near my truck but I am pretty sure that was the case. If I am wrong someone will chime in.
The 10amp in the cab fuse box is fine. The 40amp in the under hood fuse block looks good, but could not pull it at the time I checked. Was going to pick one up just in case. Looked fine from what I could see.

Update: Both fuses are fine, but DRL's are out to. Really getting tired of the electrical problems on this POS.

Update: Went to the dealer and got the official AC Delco resistor from Slovenia. Blower now works again. Hope it lasts longer than the one from O'Reillys/Checker. Inspected bad resistor and see nothing wrong with it. No broken parts, no burn marks, nothing. Just another foreign POS part I guess. Time to figure out the DRL's now.

Last edited by schristi69; October 11th, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

in Ontario, GM has put out a VSB on the heating system, They replace...resister, Harness, and Blower motor
Old July 16th, 2011, 2:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Since the blower is working on high, it will not be a fuse. I also agree with resistor block, as battery voltage is switched directly to the motor in high, and directed through the resistor block otherwise.

Quick Reply: Blower motor problem