Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Bluetooth AND camera thread idea

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth AND camera thread idea

There are numerous threads on here regarding Bluetooth and backup cameras. To me nothing is really put in one place to address BOTH of them. So here is what I see as a common concern/want.
Bluetooth – You can add it to your system using the Lockpick, the VCIM, PAC or BlueFusion.
Backup camera – You can add this to your navigation screen using the lockpick or a VSS cable
Now for the issues. No one seems to outline how to do each one. Here is what I mean.
I have the lockpick and want to add a backup camera that shows on the navigation screen, as well as getting a Bluetooth system that will show up on the screen as well.
So what would be nice is if people would come in here and say something like…
I have a 2007 Silverado (NNBS) with factory nav, Bose and Onstar and I added a backup camera AND Bluetooth. Here is how I did it, to include parts used (P/N would be great), source of supply and any other information.
Too many threads say something like…I added a Boyo camera and love it…then when asked how they never respond…
Just Jims 2 cents for the day…lol
Old May 11th, 2010, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Silverado (NBS) with factory nav, Bose and Onstar and I added a backup camera AND Bluetooth. Here is how I did it:

1- I bought a rear view bezel camera form Autostrata on ebay. It was $399.99. There are cheaper ones on ebay, but I liked the complete setup from Autostrata, and I liked that it wasn't just an rca plug, it was two wires that you add to a connector behind the navigation unit. Here is a current link, you may have to cut and paste it all together, or just do a search on seller "autostrata" on ebay. Installed it with a buddy and his 14 year old and it took us about 2 hours. You need to drill into the bed of your truck and into the bottom of your tailgate and through the wall left of the pedals. and you need to run cable underneath your truck from front to back and secure it all with zip ties (that's where the 14 year old came in real handy!!!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Facto...fAudioQ5fVideo

2- For Bluetooth, I tried and tried and tried to get my local Chevy dealerships to order me a new onstar module with bluetooth and just couldn't get them to do it for me. So once again, I hit up ebay and found a seller selling new VCIM's for 2007-2010 Silverado and Sierra's. The part number for the bluetooth VCIM I purchased is 2082-7036. I believe there are at least one or two other part numbers that would work, apparently Chevy changes and updates the numbers frequently. That was an easy swap out and the Bluetooth is flawless. The only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I currently don't have an active ONstar account and my onstar status light is RED, not GREEN, meaning I couldn't have an active account until I have the dealership and/or ONstar reprogram my new VCIM module with my vehicle vin and the such. Oh, I paid $308.00 with shipping for the new bluetooth onstar module.

Good luck, hope this helped!!!
Old May 12th, 2010, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Leevil, it is people like you that make forums like this great. Too many thread I have run across state what you did condensed into about 3 lines...and deciphering it is almost impossible. Thanks a million.

One question. Did you have to buy anything else or splice anything in regards to your VCIM?
Old May 12th, 2010, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Sideout, you don't need to splice any wires or anything. The old VCIM had two connectors and the new one has three. You'll also need to buy a bluetooth antenna, which clips on the third connection. The antenna is about 25 bucks, I forgot to mention that because it came with my VCIM. After my post yesterday, I checked ebay and there was one bluetooth VCIM for sell for Silverado/Sierra's. It was $499 plus shipping. Not sure how much it's worth to you, but you should at least check it out to see what it looks like.
Old May 13th, 2010, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

I looked at that module as well...thanks
I got the lockpick in the mail yesterday so trying to determine what I really want to do now....lol
Old August 26th, 2010, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Where can a guy find a vcim unit to go into a 2008 gmc pickup with bose and Nav.Cheers
Old September 1st, 2010, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

I think this is a great idea. I would like to add a backup camera to my 2007 Chevy 1500. Does the camera kit come with the beepers too?
Old December 9th, 2010, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Argos?

Has anyone here tried this yet? I would be willing to spend the money if I knew it worked.

http://www.onstarbluetooth.net/

or

http://www.galaxy1000.com/products.php#
Old December 13th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

hello, anyone?????????