Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Bored or Stroked?

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2009, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bored or Stroked?

Hi, I have a 92 Chevy silverado with a 350. Im planning on turning it into one mean mud trucking machine. I was wondering if any one knew which would be better to do to the engine stroke it or bore it?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 6:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Stroke it short, and she will wind. Bore it to get the inches. Dome the pistons for higher comp.
IMHO, that is.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much and does anyone know of a good site for lifts and some nice meaty tires?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 7:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rough Country is good, for tires, I would run super swampers for mud, not for the road at all though. I suggest getting on google and see what you can find. theres a lot out there. if your gonna be doin some serious muudin i suggest puttin a solid axle under the front. www.offroaddirect.com has a pretty good kit. I'm using it for my 07 eventually.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Wow thanks i havent yet been able to find a site that sold straight axle kits yet. Also one final question i have what is a good gear ratio to have in the differentials and should i stick with the stock tranny and transfer case or no? i dont really know a crap load about cars yet but am really trying to learn i mean i am only 18... and with knowing that do any of you know if it is possible for me to be able to do this with a couple of buddies or would i need to take it to a shop? they are pretty knowledgible but dont wanna just depend on that

Last edited by Chevy_Mud_Fan; November 2nd, 2009 at 7:39 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 7:53 PM
CF Veteran

I'm only 22, but if i was 18 again, i'd still be driving my 89' silverado, stupid mistakes i made with the drivetrain and driveshafts, along with a dumb transmission shop, made me sell my dream truck. for gears, that depends on the tire size, 4.10s are good for all around gears, what transmission do you have? the lift depends on how high you wanna go, on IFS 6 inches is about your limit, things get broken after that. A suspension lift can be put in with your buddies, but if you have any doubt go to a shop, you don't wanna make a mistake and lose a spring on the road.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Sounds like you have in mind a lot of the stuff I have done on my Tahoe. You can check out my build in my garage or my album, I've been mud bog racing for 3 years now and I have 15 trophys to show for it.
My build is fairly mild compared to the big horsepower guys, but there are a lot of different classes to run in based on your mods.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 9:26 PM
CF Active Member

if your comfortable with you and your buddies then go for it. shops are expensive. i do everything myself on my truck. put my lift on myself. im not as knowledgeable as some are, seeing im only 21, but i teach myself as i go as well. learn from mistakes.