Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Brake Controller, Trailer Wiring, woes!

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2010, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake Controller, Trailer Wiring, woes!

Well I bought an 07 Silverado and a 26' car trailer and wiring it has not been fun to say the least. I'm so glad I found this forum for help, 3 RV places and 1 dealership all agreed with the pigtail I had was correct for an 07 New, but for the life of me I couldn't find a place to plug it in. After some internet searching, I found your site and information that GM stopped using the plug in brake controllers and they need to be hard wired from 07 New & up Silverados. I'm assuming all other GM trucks as well. Anyway I figured it all out, hook it up and have no power at the controller, apparently they don't wire the positive up at the under hood fuse box and add the 40 amp fuse! I found this link on another site hopefully this will help others from getting flustered as I did. http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...silverado.aspx

Thank you for helping me finding the harness.
Old February 20th, 2010, 6:59 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got it figured out, my 06 came with the harness and relay and you had to install the fuse, the newer ones have the relay and wiring installed and tapped up. All you need to do is find them and install the fuse, I think you had to connect the power wire under the hood also.
Old February 20th, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really surprised how many in the industry are unaware how this all hooks up (locally). It started getting cold as the sun was going down, so I'll finish it off tomorrow, but I now know where everything is! I guess the trouble was, when I first picked up the trailer up, I was given a plug in pigtail for the controller, so right from the get go I was going in the wrong direction.

Now I know to just search here!!