Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake line rusted to ABS module

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2014, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake line rusted to ABS module

I have a leak in my front left line coming out from the ABS module, and I am rounding the fitting where I'm trying to remove it from the unit to replace it. I have doused it with lubrication last night and this morning and still no luck. Am going to try to get a flare nut wrench to try again, but if I just can't get the fitting released, what are my options?

What am I looking at if I have to replace the unit just because of that fitting? All the other fitting will come off fine, so if I had to replace the unit at least I won't need all the lines rerun, but what kind of cost am I looking at to have someone replace the unit? Looks like the part is several hundred bucks.

I was looking forward to fixing it myself, but can't go very far if the fitting won't budge. Damn, thought it was an easy line replace.
Old April 6th, 2014, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Er ABS unit as opposed to ABS module for airbag system?
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:13 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry to hear about your brake line problems. Rusting of the lines can be a really big safety issue and it is good to get the lines repaired. I found that the best way to deal with the removal of the ABS module connectors is to cut the lines near the ABS unit with a small pipe cutting tool, and use a deep socket to remove the fittings. As you have found out it is easy to round off the fittings. You can purchase new fittings from your dealer, but they are expensive.

Depending upon how long you plan on keeping your truck, you may want to look at using copper nickel lines, as they will not rust. The line is more expensive than normal steel line, but will last a lot longer.

You should also consider replacing your flex lines on the truck, as well. It would be worth while doing a full review of the whole brake system. The line that runs from the ABS module to the rear of the truck is a challenge to run with the box on, but can be done. However, please make sure that if you do run a new line, cover the end of the line, so that you do not fill the new line with dirt while you get it into position.

Good luck with your repair.
Old April 11th, 2014, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

thanks Brad