Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Off-Roading Guides
Print Wikipost

Brand New Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4- DISAPPOINTED

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2012, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4- DISAPPOINTED

I just bought a 2012 Z71 Silverado with the 3.42 gearing and the HD cooling and within 2 days was trying to return it to the dealer. I told them that I wanted to come back and pick up my 05 F150 Supercab FX4 since it drove better than the brand new truck I just bought. They told me that returning it was not an option and they would be more than happy to take a look at it. I dropped it off and they told me that the problems that I am seeing are characteristics of Chevy! The tranny shifts badly and there is a "bucking" when driving (slight but noticeable). When my wife noticed it I knew that I wasn't losing my mind. Power loss is an understatement! And that stupid annoying clunking in the steering column that I am told is "common" and just requires the joint to be lubed... There are 7 computers that run the engine/transmission and they are constantly trying to work.....(something about gas mileage)... I am extremely disappointed in this truck and the only reason why I purchased it was to get the 4 full size doors and a WARRANTY.

After only owning this vehicle for 8 days, I am already thinking about my next truck purchase! That's pretty pathetic, don't you think?!? I am disappointed with the trucks performance and it's unfortunate that I have to feel this way about a NEW truck.
Old July 10th, 2012, 8:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This symptom is called "Buyers Remorse". Very common; especially after owning a Ford.

Don't know what to tell ya Pard. You could take it down and trade it in on a Power Stroke, but you'll take a beatin', I promise.

Good luck to ya,

Allan
Old July 10th, 2012, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

I thought that "Buyers Remorse" was when "I thought that I made a bad purchase" and not that "I purchased a bad vehicle"? If the shifting problem is something that I am doing, could someone tell me how I am causing it (no sarcasm intended) . I realize that I am stuck with the vehicle and would love to make the problems stop so that I can try to enjoy it but I don't know how.

The lack of power may be in my head but I am certain that the shifting problem is not. I also know for a fact that the steering problem is not in my head. I do appreciate your suggestion though but trading it in is not an option. Now I am stuck with sharing my experiences so that others for informational purposes. Had I researched it a little bit I would have found that I am not the only one with these problems since I just found others with the same exact complaints.
Old July 10th, 2012, 6:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the shifting I hear is a common thing with the new 6 speeds, for some reason they seem to buck when comin to a stop or at a stop light. Only thing I can think of to fix that and the power lack issue is a custom tune. try blackbearperformance.com. He can fix that tranny slop and power issue with absolutely no problem and will go above and beyond on the tune for your truck
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM
CF Junior Member

They all do it or thats the nature of the truck you have is what gets me upset.

Get them to fix the truck or file lemmon law on the thing. I had to do that on a 1994 Ford I had. Bummer Got a new 1995 truck for about $2000, as I got a better seat and with a tach.

My $.02

Good luck.

Old July 11th, 2012, 8:47 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by z71silverado12
I thought that "Buyers Remorse" was when "I thought that I made a bad purchase" and not that "I purchased a bad vehicle"? If the shifting problem is something that I am doing, could someone tell me how I am causing it (no sarcasm intended) . I realize that I am stuck with the vehicle and would love to make the problems stop so that I can try to enjoy it but I don't know how.

The lack of power may be in my head but I am certain that the shifting problem is not. I also know for a fact that the steering problem is not in my head. I do appreciate your suggestion though but trading it in is not an option. Now I am stuck with sharing my experiences so that others for informational purposes. Had I researched it a little bit I would have found that I am not the only one with these problems since I just found others with the same exact complaints.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your Silverado vehicle. Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into these issues further for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

I just saw a commercial for Chevrolet and it stated that if you don't like your car, you can bring it back!! I think they also mean trucks.
Old December 13th, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

2012 Silverado Clunking and Shaking

I picked up my Silverado about Four months ago. From day one I noticed it had three issues. The first was the rough idling ( annoying as hell when stopped), second was the stiff gas pedal, (causing a lurching action when in slow moving traffic), and third was the disconcerting clunking from the rearend (at all driving speeds and conditions). I was told the computer needs to learn your driving habits and you need to put some miles on it to learn the truck, and wear things in. I have been back countless times and nothing has changed other than now they are telling me that Chevy has bulletins addressing all three issues, and that it's all within Chevy's parameters. This isn't my first rodeo. I have had both new Chevy and Ford trucks in the past with no issues at all. I drove German vehicles with their stiff gas pedals for years, and so I know how to compensate for the pressure. Two different service managers have said same thing, all is normal. There is now about 1300 miles on it and still doing the same things. Now they all say I could've returned the truck during the first week. They knew about these bulletins so why now, four months later do they tell me I could've returned the truck. A case number was assigned (#71-1132899199). The rep called me and said there is nothing Chevy can do as far as Buybacks, etc. I have driven the new Fords with none of these issues at all. Chevy's Bulletins are cop outs!!!! When they can't fix a problem they issue bulletins saying that is the Characteristic of the truck!!! Wake up Chevy and follow Fords lead. I can't afford to take a big loss and trade in to a Ford, but never again a GM product!!!!!
I am looking into filing a lawsuit and going public about this with a local TV station. Chevy...I know you are monitering this site....Stand behind your product!!
Old December 14th, 2012, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

i thought i was losing my mind until i read some of these post. I have a 2012 Z71 sliverado and i am not happy at all. i traded my 2001 chevy z71 for this one and this does not even come close to riding as nice a my 2001. it idles rough when stopped at stop lights - so bad that i feel like my teeth are chattering. It also does the bucking when slowing down and coming to a stop. it does not shift well at all. I just picked it up at the dealer and they said i just have to get used to it. I am not happy about it but i am stuck with it. I won't be buying another chevy truck after this one.
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

All Chevy truck owner if you have purchased a new truck and are getting the run around and have given a GM dealer more that 5 attempts to correct unacceptable issues that you are experiencing. Here is a TIP!!! most states lemon law states after 4 attempts to repair same issue you should contact your state BBB at Untitled st-all-bbb-locations/ and file online (you should keep all invoices and document times and dates and people involved because you will get a packet in the mail to make copies of all attempts that you have given the dealership service centers the opportunity to fix. We hard working Americans need to hold GM accountable for the current sub standard vehicles and customer service.

2012 Silverado US Army

Quick Reply: Brand New Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4- DISAPPOINTED