Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

BROKEN TIE ROD

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2008, 3:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BROKEN TIE ROD

Pay to have it fixed, get the old tie rod, put it in a safe place, and wait for the lawsuits, if in fact they have a problem.

Power, or pulling a boat out of the water have nothing to do with tie rod strain under normal circumstances.
Old September 11th, 2008, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The true down side to your problems is that in the pickup manufacturer's field, all the dogs have got fleas. They're equally or similarly competitive in most departments, including engine power, overall size,corner-cutting suspension quality, planned obsolescence,etc. Sorry,dude.
Old September 29th, 2008, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

well.. the thing is i absolutely hate the front end set up on all of the GM trucks. they are weak and they dont last if you use your truck the way i do. And the reason i sleeved mine is because i do alot of off road work and hunt and farm. i have broke only 1 and it was when i was in 4-low no reason it should have done that. but i sleeve them to be careful now. yeah at 70 that wouldnt be great but that is a very low chance of that happening because it doesnt have that much pressure on it. But all i can say is to get them sleeved or get on ebay and buy the aftermarket heavy duty ones they make.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have a fleet of 2500HDs, when the wheel is turned to one side, the tie rod ends rub against the sway bar, they have broken multiple times, I have even put taller sway bar endlinks and the problem still exists, but not as extreme. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a quality control issue with the maker of the tie rod I worked in a front end shop for 5 yrs never heard some one breaking one pulling a boat out. Farmers were I'm from beat the $hit out of there trucks mos run chevys American none have had a problem with tie rods it was mostly wheel bearings on the 06 and 07 classic we had the most trouble with