Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cai

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cai

Lookin for a good cai thats cheaper than a k&n. Any clues?
Old July 28th, 2011, 1:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a home made one...get a Airaid MIT kit(comes with the tube) and then put a k&n drop in filter in your stock box and there you have it.
Old July 28th, 2011, 8:55 PM
CF Active Member

[quote=country_09;188257]a home made one...get a Airaid MIT kit(comes with the tube) and then put a k&n drop in filter in your stock box and there you have it.[/quote

Did this, it sucked. Well it sucked to well. The factory air box draws air through the opening in the fender. The problem I encounter, was the additional sucking power from the freed up intake and freer flowing air filter, caused a resonating sound from the fender area during moderate throttle opening. Was so annoying, went back to stock and problem went away. So, I assume a fill kit which draws air from the engine compartment and not directly from the fender, will be better.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Volant
Old July 29th, 2011, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ericnottelin;188279]
Originally Posted by country_09
a home made one...get a Airaid MIT kit(comes with the tube) and then put a k&n drop in filter in your stock box and there you have it.[/quote

Did this, it sucked. Well it sucked to well. The factory air box draws air through the opening in the fender. The problem I encounter, was the additional sucking power from the freed up intake and freer flowing air filter, caused a resonating sound from the fender area during moderate throttle opening. Was so annoying, went back to stock and problem went away. So, I assume a fill kit which draws air from the engine compartment and not directly from the fender, will be better.

Hope this helps.

Eric
I've had no problems with it at all...all you're changing is the tube and with a volant intake, basically you're doin the exact same thing since your stock box is closed and so is the stock box. only difference is the openin where the air goes in switches from the fender to the bottom of the intake box. other than that nothin changes. theres no point in buyin a big brand name intake for the box when the stock box will outflow the throttle body and intake manifold. just get a new filter and new tube and it's a CAI
Old July 29th, 2011, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

[quote=country_09;188356]
Originally Posted by ericnottelin

I've had no problems with it at all...all you're changing is the tube and with a volant intake, basically you're doin the exact same thing since your stock box is closed and so is the stock box. only difference is the openin where the air goes in switches from the fender to the bottom of the intake box. other than that nothin changes. theres no point in buyin a big brand name intake for the box when the stock box will outflow the throttle body and intake manifold. just get a new filter and new tube and it's a CAI
Hey Country, that was my problem. My opening was still in the fender. I didn't have any opening at the bottom of the intake box. So I was sucking more volume of are through the fender and it was causing a HORRIBLE resonating sound in the fender area. How did you guys change the air box to suck air in through the bottom?
Old July 30th, 2011, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Honestly leave it alone, you get little to no improvement over stock sometimes worse due to hot air. Look at Spectre they make a cai for like $120 I think, they use an open design with a "Heat shield" yet the top is completely open pulling hot air from the engine K&N uses the same design. You will also see more dirt and dust in your tb using them.

Ever stuck your hand over the tb? If not, try it see how fast your engine dies. Now think about how much air it's pulling in and how fast no way is a tube with a round filter gonna help cool it off. Your stock air box pulls air from the fender and is enclosed for a reason, it pulls cool air from the outside the only other brand to my knowledge that uses the same design is Volant which is good but at the end of the day is it any better than stock? Probably not, they both pull air from the fender unless you buy the attachment that volant sells that pulls air from the bottom of the air box. Which still IMHO don't help.

To answere your question about air through the bottom of the box, most guys drill holes in it.
Old July 30th, 2011, 8:14 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by dwbluvsaec
Honestly leave it alone, you get little to no improvement over stock sometimes worse due to hot air. Look at Spectre they make a cai for like $120 I think, they use an open design with a "Heat shield" yet the top is completely open pulling hot air from the engine K&N uses the same design. You will also see more dirt and dust in your tb using them.

Ever stuck your hand over the tb? If not, try it see how fast your engine dies. Now think about how much air it's pulling in and how fast no way is a tube with a round filter gonna help cool it off. Your stock air box pulls air from the fender and is enclosed for a reason, it pulls cool air from the outside the only other brand to my knowledge that uses the same design is Volant which is good but at the end of the day is it any better than stock? Probably not, they both pull air from the fender unless you buy the attachment that volant sells that pulls air from the bottom of the air box. Which still IMHO don't help.

To answere your question about air through the bottom of the box, most guys drill holes in it.
Thanks dwbluvsaec

Well, I don't plan on drilling holes in my intake box. That just seems silly

As for the intake statements, you are absolutely right (at least as my views on engines goes). The motor is an air pump. The computer controls how much gas goes into the cylinder, by the measured volume of air going into the engine (combination of the mass air flow sensor and O2 sensors). With that said, if an air pump (ie engine) can draw air in more freely, than it spends less energy sucking, and more of that spend energy can go to the crank shaft. Also, at WOT, is where the CAI really makes a difference because it again, causes less restriction on the air as it passes through the air filter and tube, causing more air to flow more freely into the engine. This will cause the computer to dump more gas to keep the air/fuel ratio constant, thus more power at the crank and you go faster. Not to mention this little thing called the throttle body that has this other little think called a butterfly valve that also limits air flow. So you can have the freest flowing intake and you will have a nature restriction by way of this butterfly valve. This is how when that more air and gas makes you go faster, you take your foot off the gas (the butterfly valve closes a bit) and you slow down.

So with those thoughts, my beliefs on cold air are not really consistent with main stream thoughts. As the only benefit to cold air is the concentration of oxygen molecules per cubic foot of air. The colder the air, the more volume it has. However, The air naturally heats up as it enters the hot a** intake manifold. So my belief is that the colder air is less important than volume due to the last sentence (thus why superchargers and turbos give large gains and and then you add an intercooler and get a LITTLE more gain).

So with that in mind, I am still considering the KN cold air intake for my truck. I did notice a difference at wide open throttle in other vehicles. I also noticed negligible fuel mileage gains but nothing to write home about. But since, I want my truck to tow easier, especially up mountain sides when vacationing in N. Carolina, anything that can free up the motor, would be helpful.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now

Eric