Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2009, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cam Help

Hello everyone, im new to this community, my name is Devin. I own a 2003 Silverado 2WD 5.3L. It has 112XXX miles on it. Ive done a series of bolton power adders like shortie headers, exhaust, CAI, and stuff of that nature. I recently aquired a superchips flashpaq and installed it also. I've also installed 4.10 gears as well. Im really interested in installing an aftermarket cam. I dont want anything radical just something with a good exhaust note and a decent HP gain ( This truck is my daily drive, but, i dont drive very far to work or anyplace else ). Im just wondering if anybody has any sudgestions. Also, i need to know what else i need to change ( valve springs, push rods, rocker arms, lifters). Thanks
Old June 22nd, 2009, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

Welcome to CF!

If you install an aftermarket camshaft, it's not completely necessary to change your valvetrain up, but to take full advantage of the camshaft, you really should upgrade your entire valvetrain. You could run it with the stock valves in it with the aftermarket camshaft in it for a while then change the valvetrain and heads up, or you could change everything at once.

-Note: It's not necessary, but recommended that you get new, higher flowing heads if you put a new camshaft in the motor.

Now, please note that this is an internet forum, and I could be completely wrong. I'd wait for someone to verify or give their input.

As for the actual camshafts: Summit Racing has you covered.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want to make a serious HP gain get A package set of match parts, intake,cam and heads
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default cam

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
If you really want to make a serious HP gain get A package set of match parts, intake,cam and heads
I was gonna do the whole ls6 package: valve springs, push rods, heads, ext, ext,. I just needed some advice to make my decision. Like i said in my thread, the truck only has 112k on it and still runs great with all the boltons i put on there. Anyways, thanks to all that read and took the time to comment and give suggestions.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edelbrock makes a nice peackage with heads, intake cam and lifters. Its a good deal to take advantage of!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

I'll keep that in mind. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine eventually and i figured if im gonna replace the timing chain and all that other stuff that i might as well upgrade everything else ya know. Thanks for the suggestion.