Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Can't program garage door opener.

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2014, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't program garage door opener.

I have the 2015 Silverado LTZ with the mylink computer system. My garage door opener is a fixed code Stanley garage door opener. About 1996 it was installed. I do not have the original garage door opener as it broke years ago.
The problem I am having is trying to figure out how to program the garage door opener in the truck. I have had previous silverados that had no problem being programmed. Is there a new procedure to do this and if so, what is it. I have tried a ton of different things, so maybe its just confused right now. Kinda like me... LOL Any help would be much appreciated before I pull any more hair out.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old December 29th, 2014, 9:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey there,

Very sorry that you seem to be experiencing these concerns with your garage door opener! Have you considered contacting the Universal Remote system from your owner's manual? They may be able to help with the programming. For questions or help programming the Universal Remote system, call 1-800-355-3515 or see www.homelink.com. Let me know if they were able to help.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

I ordered an original Stanley remote and I will try to program it that way. I was looking for instructions on programming without the remote and just the dip switch code. Dip switches don't seem to work so hope the remote will work. I will let you know.
Old January 1st, 2015, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Just went through this with an older garage door opener. Look on the opener (not the remote) for a button to push that will activate the transmission code. It should stay on for about thirty seconds. You immediately push and hold the button in the vehicle. It should read the code and store it.
The procedure should be in the manual.

Good luck
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Ok. Thanks. I will try that and see if it works. I'll let you know.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Well, that's a no go too. No transmit button on the opener. I will just have to wait till the remote shows up and hopefully that works.
Old January 5th, 2015, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Got the replacement remote today. Worked like a charm. Programmed it in 10 seconds flat. Yay. That was too easy.
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

So let me get this straight, because I just bought a 2016 Silverado and I too do not have the remote for my garage door opener. In fact, I have never had it but my old 2008 model linked perfectly. So now that I have a 2016, I have to go out and BUY a $50.00 garage door opener to program my home link system for the sole purpose of ELIMINATING my $50.00 garage door opener??????? Chevrolet has really messed up with this one.