Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Check engine light issue

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2011, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light issue

Right now i'm driving my dad's 2007 silverado until i get my car back in two weeks. Since i've been driving it the CEL likes to come on under heavy acceleration, when the rpms go past 4500. The CEL will start to blink then it will shut off. The light came on yesterday and stayed on during a lot of highway driving i was doing. When i had the car inspected the other week, the CEL was on and i was told they were miss fire codes....but the CEL went away and would just blink under heavy acceleration. The car is a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L and it has 64k. i don't know much about these cars, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2011, 5:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Silveradooo
Right now i'm driving my dad's 2007 silverado until i get my car back in two weeks. Since i've been driving it the CEL likes to come on under heavy acceleration, when the rpms go past 4500. The CEL will start to blink then it will shut off. The light came on yesterday and stayed on during a lot of highway driving i was doing. When i had the car inspected the other week, the CEL was on and i was told they were miss fire codes....but the CEL went away and would just blink under heavy acceleration. The car is a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L and it has 64k. i don't know much about these cars, so any advice would be appreciated.
What are the codes? Thats the key other than misfire, and thats generally coil pack. With acceleration, I'd guess either misfire, but could be a crank, or cam sensor also.
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

i don't know what the codes are...and the problem was when the CEL was on the scanner for some reason wouldn't work. i tried 3 scanners, and even when it was at the shop they had a hard time being able to read the codes as well
Old July 20th, 2011, 5:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

07Silveradooo,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Did you take your dads vehicle to a independent or your local Chevrolet dealership?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 21st, 2011, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Usually a blinking CEL is a serious situation. Even if it comes and goes or only happens at certain times, its not good. Almost all of the time a blinking CEL is caused by a misfire code. If you continue to drive without fixing the problem is going to cause many more problems. Have the spark plugs even been changed? If not I would pull one and see what it looks like, that very well could be the problem.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 5:25 AM
CF Beginner

sounds to me like you have a bad catalytic converter that's the reason it does it at high rpm's it's not burning the fuel off fast enough and with it doing that it's sending the wrong amount of emissions to the o2 sensor witch is telling it not to send the right amount of fuel and making it throw the misfire code