Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Chevy 1500 Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2010, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 1500 Problems

Hi all, i recently bought a 2000 chevy 1500 truck this morning.
Everything looked good (just a little beat-up). It was parked on soil so i couldnt see any leaks but underneath truck looked pretty dirty.

I drove it around and it was all good until i started driving on the highway.
The rpms went from like 2~3 to Max. The transmission fluid oil was overheating based on what the computer console said on the screen.
I couldnt drive further as it was to hot so i ended up driving at like 50km/h all the way home on the highway. Even that it has trouble driving.

I noticed now underneath there are some leaks on the floor, the transmission oil is kinda blackish red. Someone came by and had a curious look and did mention the drivetrain may be screwed.

What do you guys think? Do you think i should repair this? And worth it? Thank you, please advise.
Old October 10th, 2010, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Can you work on cars/trucks. a new trans is about $1800.00. With some help you could do this in a couple of days. I don't know how much you paid for the truck, but the trans would be cheaper than a new truck.
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change the transmission fluid and put in some lucas oil transmission fluid, if still getting hot, put in a transmission cooler, the trans isnt buggered until it stops moving lol
and dont forget to change the trans filter
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Take it to a mechanic!!!!!
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Hi, well i am not mechanically savvy so i don't wanna screw things up lol. I am more of a woodworker. I bought the truck for $1500 though, so you would think a new transmission is worth it rather than a new truck? The mechanical labour charges here are absolutely ridiculous... : (
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Oh yeah, the owner of the truck has a mechanic for a friend and he offered to come down today and put a new gasket and trans filter. Not sure if he is putting in transmission fluid though. I hope it'll work?
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
CF Pro Member

he will have to put in new fluid, (he will know that) i dont know if it will work for sure, but it is better than changing the trans and finding out the filter was plugged
Old October 11th, 2010, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all, so yeah the guy left and did managed to replace trans filter and gasket.
We did a test run but now the truck won't drive higher thank 60-80km/h. It doesn't wanna shift up gear. I really don't know what to do and he gave up and went home. He thinks i should just re-list the vehicle and sell it. I feel ripped off and sad at the same time.
Old October 12th, 2010, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Hey did you look at the catalytic converter. when the truck is under power does the exhaust sound strange? does it sound like it is under pressure? or that something is blocking it? drive it a while (15 mins) than check/look at the cat,see if it is glowing. My gut feeling is the trans is roached,however a bad cat will cause the performance problems you write about (except the fluid leaking and discoloration)
Old October 12th, 2010, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

hate to tell you but it sounds like the tranny is shot.whether or not you decide to rebuild/replace the transmission depends on alot of factors
how many miles dose the truck have?are there any other problems with it?if it was me i would demand my money back because I'm sure the guy who sold it to you knew damn well the tranny was shot,and that's why he sold it to you so cheap.if he refuses i would say an *** kicking is in order,but that's just me.take this as a lesson
1)if something sounds to good to be true it usually is.
2)if you yourself don't know about cars/trucks make sure you bring someone that dose next time you go to buy another.
you live,you learn...

Quick Reply: Chevy 1500 Problems