Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Clicking in front end when turning and driving

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2012, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking in front end when turning and driving

I'm having this clicking in my front end when i drive that isn't relative to the speed, and a clicking when i turn sharply, theres a lot of play in the CV. I can move it up and down, and turn it a lot. And the boot is torn. But could it also be the wheel bearing cause im getting a dipping in the front end slightly. It's hard to explain. I just need someone else's opinions to better help whether i replace the CV or do something else. Any opinions?

CHevy Silverado K1500 5.7L
3" Body Lift, 33x12.5" Nitto Grapplers.
Old September 26th, 2012, 5:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Since the boot is torn, besides needing replaced, inspect it.
Old September 26th, 2012, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

I've inspected it, and that's all I could find. Could it be the wheel baring also? Or just the wheel baring?
Old September 26th, 2012, 8:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Well definately without a doubt I think you need to replace the CV since you're getting play but mostly because the boot is torn. As for the wheel bearing the easiest way to test is this: jack up front of truck to where there is no weight on the suspension(just dangling) and the tire is about a inch off the ground, now for the wheel bearing have someone grab the tire at top and bottom and move up and down and if the wheel bearing is bad you should be able to see the hub/wheel bearing moving and you might have play in ball joints so give those a look as well. Another way is stick a big crow bar under the tire and move tire up and down and once again if there is something that needs replacing you can see it. I hope I was specific enough and even if you just want to change it, I believe you have to remove wheel bearing to take the CV out so you can knock two birds with one stone.