Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Clunking Transmission

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Transmission

My 2000 Silverado 2500 with trailer tow package and 6.0 engine has a loud clunk when towing my camper. I have had it to the chevy dealers repeatedly and they tell me they can find nothing wrong...I have consulted a number of after-market garages and transmission shops and they tell me that this is a problem with this transmission. Chevy denies this but it seems that every one I ask says that their transmission does this when they tow, no matter what the weight of the trailer they tow...My truck has very low milage on it because I am afraid to tow with it. It works fine without the trailer in tow...It is well within the tow rating for this truck.....

I am considering replacing the automatic with a manual 6 speed.

Am I being paranoid or is this a characteristic of this transmission to clunk???
Old January 18th, 2007, 9:16 PM
Banned

Default RE: Clunking Transmission

I am certainly not an expert but I have heard from experts that this clunk is actuall the Slip Yoke on the driveshaft. Something about a nickel plated one is available that won't do it. If it is in fact the SY. It doesnt hurt anything and you should load it with grease.
Old January 20th, 2007, 3:24 PM
CF Junior Member

What is the tranny shops justification for claiming a problem with the tranny? Did they give you a logical explanation?
Old January 20th, 2007, 3:35 PM
CF Junior Member

The only clunking that should be happening in an automatic tranny is the clutch packs engaging or the bands grabbing a clutch drum (but I wouldn't describe either of those events as clunking per se) when you shift into forward or reverse.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

Does it clunk when upshifting? or when you first start out after letting off the brakes? or when stopping?
Old January 24th, 2007, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

It clunks when it shifts gears going up a hill or down a hill when the transmission and the rear end are not in direct line with one another. I have a friend who is a service manager at a crysler jeep dealership.....he states that the other manufacturers have issued tsb's on this very same problem. The solution is to remove the slip yoke and clean the old grease from it and the splines completely. Then there is a special synthetic grease that has to be applied. It appears that the old grease is not letting the yoke slide back and forth on the spline when it is under a heavy load. I am going to spend the money to have it done. It is cheaper than buying a new truck as this is the only thing wrong with this one. And it only does it when I pull my camper. Of coarse it will be a while before I get to test it out as I have a long road trip next month with my camper.....
Old January 25th, 2007, 7:52 PM
CF Junior Member

...this clunk is actuall the Slip Yoke on the driveshaft...
This is a big discussion on my forum, Diesel Place. Many guys have been scared by this noise and even i have been shaken by it from time to time when unloaded. The slip yoke is 98% surely the cause of the noise. I had a 2004 GMC 6.0 and i have a 2003 Suburban 5.3 that both do this even when pulling my 1500 lb trailer. Moch more noticable when pulling a larger trailer like say my 10,000 lb 30' enclosed snowmobile trailer. Hills make it much more noticable and so does using cruise control. Its nothing that is going to harm your truck so don't go worrying about it too much. There IS a TSB out on it so just mention that it is the slip yoke. A lot of service managers don't pick up on it because they have never been fed the info. The most the can do is re-grease and thats about it.

-- Rick
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Don't let em' BS you, my local dealer kept telling me this was normal for my 04' 1500. After many repeated trips and short of threatening them to blast my truck through their service doors and destroy everything in sight they replaced the yoke and the problem magically went away. Now mind you prior to the last trip in I took an electric pencil engraver and made some markings on the yoke so that way I could definitely make sure that it was indeed replaced. Fortunately it was still under warranty and they had to foot the bill, however it still took the grief of many countless trips and pounding to make them do it. This is such a shame that 30,000$ doesn't mean diddly to them. No pun intended but I guess the squeaky wheel does get the grease! or yoke in this case.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

I guess I need a little credit guys ... Q: is it the Slip Yoke?
Old February 4th, 2007, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Well guys, I took my truck to the shop and had the slip yoke removed and cleaned of the old grease. The splines also had to be cleaned and new synthetic grease applied...According to the shops I checked with stated that GM had issued TSB's covering this problem. But unless you say to the dealer Slip Yoke TSB's they will look at you like you have 2 heads.....I work for an auto parts place and a lot of the accounts I deliver to verified that indeed this was the correct solution....

Upon some discussion with my wife and co pilot we determined that as time went on the clunking got worse. So we decided to made this service on a regular basis. It is as cheap as an oil change.

Quick Reply: Clunking Transmission