Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

comparing two cars

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comparing two cars

Hi all,

What is the driving experience pros and cons of driving a 1 ton crew cab long box dually versus a 2500 hd crew cab long box. The only difference in the two while driving that I can think of that one will notice is that the 1 ton has the dual rear wheels while the 2500hd has the single rear wheels. I think this might be somewhat noticable while taking turns or finding a parking place other than that I think that the driving experience should be the same. I really don't know how much of a negative effect this would have though or if there would be any other cons. Any insight that anybody can give me on personal expericence or anything else would be much appreciated. thank you
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: comparing two cars

What do You want to use it for? The extra rear wheel will give it more stability while towing and cornering but at the expense of some fuel mileage. That extra pair of wheels increase road friction ( traction ) and thusly create more drag so less MPG. If You need the Dually then get it. If not and the 2500 will get the job done, then get that instead. You can get a 3500 with single rear wheels if You just need more load capacity than the 2500 affords.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

World of information. Thank you. Sense I live in a snowy region though the dually might help with traction. Mayby about once or twice a year I will get a load of sand or rocks that will need the dually feature. Of course somebody might just say to get the 2500hd and make two trips instead of one. I don't know right know. I really do like having the option available so I think I will just go with the dually. Also, when driving the dually, does the turning radius decrease alot. You mention drag can create a decrease in mpg. How much does this create though? Thanks
Old September 4th, 2006, 2:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly do you need an HD for? So many people seem to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton just to keep up with the "jones's"? I find driving a dually a little nerve racking always concerned with the wheels crossing the center line and such. I sappose it's all what you are used to.
Old October 9th, 2006, 8:10 PM
CF Active Member

Thanx for the Post.
Old October 25th, 2006, 3:15 AM
CF Junior Member

uncle bill is right alot has to do with what tou need it for. To me the 2500HD is a better deal you get the same amount of power but better gas milage due to less wieght, and rotating mass and can still tow the same amount. Don,t forget it's cheaper when you have to buy tires.