Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Converting Dash to later model style

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Dash to later model style

Looking for a little help/suggestion/sense slapped into me...I want to convert a 91 silverado's dashboard into something a little later down the timeline. I was looking for something mid-90's, but i'm not sure mechanically if all guages would work. Half of mine aren't working as it is, and i really don't feel like trying to find and fix old trash. Anyone think it's possible? I'm fairly sure all of the mounting brackets are the same, it would be more of a matter of relocating vents, and trying to hook up all electronics.
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Converting Dash to later model style

I wouldn't do it. Wait....I take that back. I might consider something like this if I was building a hot rod or something, but not to a 91 Silverado. People these days have too much money to spend on stupid crap like this.
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

well...it's not a matter of some ridiculous sum of money, i can get a full dash with guages from a junkyard for about $250...or spend $300 for old guages with installation. IMO i think it'd be easier for me to wire a full dash thanpay for someone to put in two guages...if it would work. as far as"stupid crap", i think it's a completely reasonable project. Would you reccomend me selling the truck and buying a new one simply because i have 2 non-working guages? because if that's the case, then i'm not the one with too much money to blow.
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get a newer model full dash with gauges for $250, then surely you can find one that's the same model as yours for the same money. Or maybe you can find just the instrument cluster for even less.
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
CF Active Member

ignore him, you spend you money how you see fit. croutchity old farts
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm not an old fart. I'm 26. I didn't relize that you could get a complete dash for such little money. But even still....I have replaced entire dashes before and it's a lot of work. You deal with hundreds of tiny screws and nuts that are often very hard to get at, and sometimes won't come loose. I just think it's a waste of time and effort for such an old vehicle. Also, if your replacing one style dash with another you'd have to expect some things to not line up correctly. Also from experience, I've found that after a dash replacement you end up with squeaks and rattles. Nothing seems as tight and secure as it once was. It's just a pain the ***. Just my opinion.
Old November 15th, 2007, 7:51 AM
CF Active Member

I've actually thought about this before too.If you're willing to do the work and you think you are about to do it then why not do it?Thinking about this though.If you want everything to match you might want to replace door panels too.So the edges of the dash match up and meet with the edges of the doors.That is if you're like me and like it to have a "all together" look to it.I donno if the newer style door panels will work in a older 90's.I'd assume they will work if the new dash will fit in.
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

I vote No on a 91 to 95 or 96 dash replacement. My last truck was a 96 chevy C1500 and the dash was poorly laid out in my opinion. That truck was an awesome truck, I put nearly 200000 miles on that truck and it still ran strong when I sold it. As for the dash though.

1. the a/c vents are all screwed up. Chevy put a cheesy cup holder right in front of the middle vents so when you stuck drinks there they would consume the cooling air. In addition to that and I've noticed this on my dad's (97 K2500) and my brother in law's 97 C1500, during the summer when it's really hot (80-90 F) the A/C dumps all the cold air on the passenger and the drive sets over in the drivers seat sweating to death b/c for some reason the air just doesn't move on that side. I tried closing the passenger vents and the mid vent but never had luck.

Nothing else is really coming to mind but I do remember back then when I first got the truck how I thought the interior upgrades chevy did on the 95s were a lot nicer looking then the predecessor's.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:48 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

So I just made a username only to add my reply. Despite age, money, or how many bolts. the question was is a later model interchangeable to the 91. Non of which had a answer, but only a mindless reply. I have my dash out now and considering using it for a mold to fiberglass a new one **** it. Dakota digital has a nice cluster of gauges for it as well.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default 91 dash convertion

i too am taking on the same project but i picked up a 99 suburban for the interior being leather in great shape spent 650 on the truck so i think its well worth the time to do it, anyone else thats crying bout "it being to hard and a wiring mess" you clearly lack knowledge and common sense bout it. its not that hard just pay attention to what your doing label and tag everything and patience.

Quick Reply: Converting Dash to later model style