Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

coolant leak that I can not locate

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak that I can not locate

Hi there I have a 1998 chevy k1500 4wd with towing package, and I have a coolant leak somewhere on the backside of the engine that can not locate. There is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, does anybody have any clues what the problem could be?
Old October 26th, 2010, 8:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely it is a external intake leak
Old October 27th, 2010, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default follow up details

The thing that has me confused is that it only does it when it is in the cooldown process, and as far as i can tell it doesnt do it when it is running.
Old October 27th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

if you are having to add coolant from time to time, you have a leak.

I never saw any coolant leaking from my 2000 model 350 engine, the coolant was leaking into the intake manifold gaskets. If not corrected it will get worse and can ruin your engine.
Old November 19th, 2010, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

It could also be a soft plug on the back of the engine. I had one leaking on my 350, and it was behind the bellhousing, and I had to pull the motor to fix it. It was a MAJOR pita.
Old November 19th, 2010, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RakerBill
It could also be a soft plug on the back of the engine. I had one leaking on my 350, and it was behind the bellhousing, and I had to pull the motor to fix it. It was a MAJOR pita.
I have the same problem with leaking on my 98 350. The coolent drips off of the bellhousing very slow. Could you explain more about the (soft plug)? What is a soft plug? Seems to loose water on cool down also.
Thanks
Old November 19th, 2010, 8:14 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

check throughly around the intake manifold, as this was a very common issue with the 97-98 350's particularly around the top rear of the engine.

EDIT: also check the quick disconnect for the heater hose as that is also a very common leak area

Last edited by in2pro; November 19th, 2010 at 8:18 AM.
Old November 19th, 2010, 8:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default af leak

Get a peice of card board and put under the vehicle when you park it. This will tell you if you have an external leak and the general area it is in. Then with a good light and a mirror you might locate it. It would be good if you could put a pressure tester on the system. If you dont see anything outside my bet would be manifold gaskets. These engines are famous for leaking there. The "soft plugs" are welch plugs (sometimes called freeze plugs) they plug the holes used to remove the sand when the block is cast.
Old November 19th, 2010, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

I think he is refering to a freeze plug. There is one on the back of the engine and there are i believe 2 on each side of the engine. they are brass plugs about the size of a silver dollar. If the one on the back of the engine is leaking you have to pull the engine out to fix it.
Old November 19th, 2010, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone. I used the cardboard and it is dripping off the bellhousing. Will a pressure test locate the leak?
Oh its a 1998 w/70,000 miles

Last edited by haroldpo6; November 19th, 2010 at 8:57 AM.

Quick Reply: coolant leak that I can not locate