Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cooling system problem

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2014, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system problem

The truck is still overheating. I've replaced the water pump twice, I put in a new thermostat and the radiator isn't plugged to my knowledge. Water flows through both ways freely. I've taken the thermostat out to see if the vehicle pumps water but when I run the truck water isn't pumped at all.
Old August 19th, 2014, 5:00 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum jrdlauck

What year, model and engine are we asking about here... also I will move your post from the site feed back section to the truck section and see if we can get you some answers!
Old August 20th, 2014, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 2005 silverado with a 5.3
Old August 26th, 2014, 8:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I've replaced the water pump twice"

don't use diag skills to decide parts to replace. use diag to decide which parts must be tested. testing part is easy. never replace a part that's doign it's job.

#1 don't let it overheat too high or too long, let it cool, don't damage engine while diagnosing

see if your fan is spinning full speed when hot. if it's not an electronic fan it has wax. the wax goes bad after a while, you replace the wax thing. if it's electric still make sure it's spinning full speed.

if it's electric and not spinning right, check your coolant temperature switch has right resistance (it decicdes what speed elec. fan spins at)

i assume you replaced the thermostat that's an easy & cheap job to check / replace. just push on it see if it's stuck or harder to depress than it should be. you'll make a mess doing that so try that last

a good service manual is the cheapest part you can buy

other than that you could have engine problems (less likely). there are many and which is usually shown by major indicators such as tail pipe, oil problems, coolant bubblign or problems