Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Crack in the Engine Block...

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2010, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crack in the Engine Block...

Alright. Im pretty mad that this happend only 4 months after buying the truck, but it happened and theres nothing i can do. What im asking is it worth putting a new engine in or should I just get another truck.

BTW my truck has 186,000 miles so im leaning toward a different truck.
Old September 29th, 2010, 6:21 PM
CF Veteran

Default crack

how is the body ,any problems with the 4x4 ,how much did you pay for it ,how much for either a good used or rebuilt long block ,how much for another truck ,how much money you got ? all questions you need to ask your self .
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Should be able to get a 5.7 or 5.3 with acceptable miles (pretty sure the 5.3 would bolt up to the tranny? - maybe have to buy new computer and such, too? not sure) at a junk yard pretty cheap.
Old September 30th, 2010, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by old dog
how is the body ,any problems with the 4x4 ,how much did you pay for it ,how much for either a good used or rebuilt long block ,how much for another truck ,how much money you got ? all questions you need to ask your self .

Ha good body condition but ive spent too much money on the truck as it is. Im upside down finacially, with my luck i'd buy a new engine and the tranny would die. Im done with this thing. If i dont get a good price for it. Im going to let it sit and use it for parts.
Old September 30th, 2010, 9:56 PM
CF Junior Member

not sure if it helps you but i have a 5.7L engine sitting in my shed, she got 170k on it, but the only problem is that it has a spun bearing. i was playin in the mud for too long at 6000rpm the oil pump cavitated and didnt get any oil back down to crank quick enough. cylinder walls are in great shape...i took it out and put a 383 in mine. its just an option, just tryin to help a guy out u know
Old October 1st, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Ton-K1500
not sure if it helps you but i have a 5.7L engine sitting in my shed, she got 170k on it, but the only problem is that it has a spun bearing. i was playin in the mud for too long at 6000rpm the oil pump cavitated and didnt get any oil back down to crank quick enough. cylinder walls are in great shape...i took it out and put a 383 in mine. its just an option, just tryin to help a guy out u know

Wow, nice..a 383 in your truck. That sounds sweet.

About the 5.7 how much would you want for it. I really only have 500 i can spend. If thats too low then thats ok too, I'm going to have to save up for a truck AGAIN in that case.

Its 100 times more frustrating because this is the first car (or truck) i've ever owned, I'm 18 and need a cheap ride to go back and forth to college and work. On top of that i need to put 1/2 tons of gravel, rocks, etc...in the back for my job so..I think this is the first and last time I use craigslist for a purchase, although im sure there are legitimate offers and people on there, there are way too many people trying desperately to get rid of a vehicle that is falling apart
Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:49 PM
CF Active Member

A few questions: where is the crack? Is it letting water in the oil? or is it just leaking out of the engine? do you have to pass emissions in your state? (we don't) there are several possibilities depending on your situation.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
CF Junior Member

well, there is coolant in the oil..I already changed the Intake gasket and then I found a big 'ol crack about 6 inches below the head gasket. and I could probably drive 40 miles more before my truck becomes the BP oil rig and explodes
Old October 3rd, 2010, 3:19 AM
CF Active Member

That's funny!!!
Old October 3rd, 2010, 6:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Its just sitting there, only thing its worth to me are the heads. say $150? you got the 305 right? Im not sure if the heads are same, i think they are cuz all chevy smalls are the same--at least in the old days. if you can use your heads, you can just have the short block

Quick Reply: Crack in the Engine Block...