Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Crankshaft R & R

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft R & R

I have a 1988 C1500 Chevy. 5.7L 350. Crankshaft is broken right before first journal is what mechanic says it feels like.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of step-by-step instructions on how to remove it without pulling heads?
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it can be done that way, without taking heads off, but not very easy. get a chiltons manual. motor WILL have to be pulled.
Old May 24th, 2010, 9:18 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be extremely rare for the crank to break. ALMOST unheard of. What are the symptoms? There would be no reason at all to pull the heads to do the job.
Old May 25th, 2010, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Loud vibration, thought it was throw-out bearing, but tranny was pulled and clutch and throw-out bearing were replaced even though only mildly worn. Vibration changes with rpms. After driving for a short time truck will die when it comes to a stop kind of like if clutch wasn't working and you try to stop with it in first gear. Vibration sounds like loud scraping w/ low tone and can be felt in pedals.
Old May 25th, 2010, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
it can be done that way, without taking heads off, but not very easy. get a chiltons manual. motor WILL have to be pulled.
Does the Chilton manual explain how it is performed w/o pulling heads?
Old May 25th, 2010, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, and he said that the harmonic balance was turning easily. That is where he came up with the diagnose that it was broke before first journal.
Old May 25th, 2010, 9:06 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If the crankshaft was broken it would not run. If it were broken all if the pistons behind the break would not move. In fact when the starter turned the fly wheel everything in front of the break would not move, timing chain, balancer pulley etc... If the timing chain does not turn the distributor does not turn then there is no spark thus no start. I think you may want to get a second opinion.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; May 25th, 2010 at 9:16 PM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 6:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kljames8284
Does the Chilton manual explain how it is performed w/o pulling heads?
no it does not. this job is done with motor out of car, and heads off. if you're not real familiar with this kind of work, then i'd have a shop do it, or at very least, follow a good manual. trying to shortcut will only cost more time and money. i agree with MDTAHOE as well. get second opinion as far as actual problem.
Old May 26th, 2010, 6:52 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

To replace it in the truck without removing the heads, remove the oil pan, timing cover, timing chain. Unbolt the rods and main caps remove the crank.
Old May 26th, 2010, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
To replace it in the truck without removing the heads, remove the oil pan, timing cover, timing chain. Unbolt the rods and main caps remove the crank.
So you are saying it can be done with it in the truck? You still have to pull the tranny off the engine though? If it could be done without removing the engine that would be great so I wouldn't have to tow it 28miles to my dad's since I don't have and concrete to work on to use a cherry picker.

Off the subject, Which would you recommend? If you were putting a car on jack stands in the grass, would you use 3/4 plywood or 1 1/8 in granite? This would be what the jack stands sit on so they don't sink into the ground. Granite is free, since I use to work for one of the largest countertop shops in the country, I have a shed full of scraps. Plywood on the other hand would have to be purchased and tied to the top of my car (not liking that idea.)

Quick Reply: Crankshaft R & R