Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Crankshaft R & R

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2010, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you would have to pull or slide the trans to do it in order to remove the fly wheel. Just to say it again I HIGHLY doubt that is your problem. Doing it outside on the ground will take you days to complete. When you pull the oil pan and the crank is not broken you will have done lots of work for nothing. It sound more like you need to re investigate the clutch, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and transmission.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; May 26th, 2010 at 9:39 PM.
Old May 28th, 2010, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Yes you would have to pull or slide the trans to do it in order to remove the fly wheel. Just to say it again I HIGHLY doubt that is your problem. Doing it outside on the ground will take you days to complete. When you pull the oil pan and the crank is not broken you will have done lots of work for nothing. It sound more like you need to re investigate the clutch, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and transmission.
I started it up yesterday to move and mow under. Started, smoked a lot, the made that loud vibration sound the whole time. Once I got it turned around to back in, I notice the sound had softened a little. So I revved up the engine to about 4k. It threw the belt off. So I got out and stopped the a/c and tensioner pulley from spinning then started checking each one to see it any wobbled. when I got down to the crankshaft pulley it wobbled very easily and so did the harmonic balancer. Why would they wobble? That is where the noise is coming from, the tranny side feels fine, you can hear it from the front of the engine more than the back.
Old May 28th, 2010, 4:47 PM
CF Active Member

Is your harmonic balancer bolt tight as well as the pulley bolts?
Old May 29th, 2010, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

The pulley bolts were, the harmonic balancer bolt was snug but not extremely tight.
Old June 1st, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I pulled the harmonic balancer, and the shaft of the crankshaft that sticks out of the front of the engine (the harmonic balancer bolts to) has about a quarter inch of movement up and down and side to side. I don't know why it would have that, or how the engine could run with the crankshaft in that condition.
I'm in the process of trying to get it out to the country to pull the engine. I could use some suggestions on what would cause that.
Also How much worse would it make the gas MPG, if I put in 383 kit in it.