Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

dead battery, locks cycle, bad chatter in drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2012, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery, locks cycle, bad chatter in drivetrain

I'm having some serious battery issues on my 08 z71. I have never been able to leave my radio on for more than an hour. I am now working on my 3rd battery, a new red top, that i put in a few days ago. I just found that I have a short in the alternator so I have ordered a new one. I unhooked the alternator from the mega fuse and did a voltage check after 7 or 8 hours. I ended up with only .02 voltage drop. Even still, every time I go to open any door, the locks cycle, even with the alternator unhooked which so far has been my main shortage. I read another post on here that dealt with issues of the mega fuse and battery terminals, both of those looked good but I cleaned the fuse a bit and replaced the terminal anyhow so that I could turn the battery around. Any Ideas as to what else I might try?

I'm also having another issue. I have a vibration/chatter coming from the drivetrain. I'm not sure what it is but it's getting worse. I recently went through the front end to replace the axle seals and lower cv boots. I also just replaced the u joints, all is good there, no slack or stiffness. Is there anyone who has had problems with the transfer case or the differential doing this. It seems to be coming from one of the two but all I can hear is the chatter out the rear of the truck, even from the bed I still can't deduce it. It doesn't work to put it up on stands either, seems as if it has to have tension against it plus that doesn't work well with the traction control/stabilitrack. I now notice it through all speeds and gears now but it is most noticeable from 40 to 50 in OD just because of the lower RPMs, and it does not feel like tranny or converter problems. Is anyone experiencing any of these problems?

Only mods are led interior replacements, led light bar, projector headlights, 2 inch front lift.
Old June 28th, 2012, 2:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Replace the alternator, a 2/10's voltage drop is good. You'll have a milli-amp current even with the key off for radio, clock ect.

Pull the cover off the differential, look at the gears.
Old June 28th, 2012, 2:58 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Just a shot in the dark but try disconnecting the ballast for the headlamps...sometimes a bad ballast can cause weird things to happen...
Try disconnecting them one at a time to help isolate if it is the cause...
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the cover off the diff today, metal shavings were average, 112,000 miles and about 70k on that flud. Still couldn't pin point anything out of the usual, all seems tight, no loose play. Next is the transfer case. I seem to get alot of clank with towhaul on in 2nd at about 30 when ever i accelerate from coasting. Also, if i leave it in any 4 wheel drive mode for too long, the service 4wheel drive comes up and I cannot get it out of any of the 4 wheel drive modes.
I will try those ballasts next. I forgot to mention that I was running ballasts all the way around, hi's + low's & fog. 55 watts on high and lows and 35 on the fogs. One of the fogs has been out for a while, and one of the high beams has a bit of a flicker to it.
Thanks for the tips peeps!

Last edited by DKing; June 28th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old June 29th, 2012, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the battery ground.