Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Decision to go from stock size wheels to larger ones

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2012, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision to go from stock size wheels to larger ones

Gents and Ladies,
As a relative new truck owner I have a basic question about getting larger wheels for my 2003 1500. Currently stock size. I will be upgrading to new Bilstein 5100's soon.
Before doing so, I wanted to find out what you all advise about me getting larger wheels. ..Basically what are the benefits of going with a larger wheel.
First of all I think the truck will look better. Will it also ride better? Is there a point where putting on larger wheels will also mean some other adjustments?
How about gas mileage? I am going to be putting on a cold air intake as well.
anyway, whatever wisdom you can share on me deciding to get larger wheels will be appreciated..
thanks/
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had put the 20" tahoe wheels on my silverado and it looked great but i thought it rode like crap.
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM
CF Active Member

YOu will get worse gas mileage and the ride will depend on the tires. If you go with a tire that uses higher pressure your truck be more road sensitive, you will feel it. You will also put more stress on the steering componets and wear them out faster. The only advantage I can think of is a higher clearance for off road stuff.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks,,,makes sense...I 'll put some $$ into something that will deliver better results..
Old January 14th, 2012, 3:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothin wrong with putter bigger rims on a truck, puttin bigger, more aggressive tires on there is where the problems happen. If you just put the Chevy stock 20s on there it won't change much if any. The tires are bout the same size
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Bigger tires will increase mean slower 0-60mph times, lower gas mileage, lower top speed, increased wear on the drive train - in general.

It is possible to go from a 16 to a 17 or from a 17 to a 18 inch rim and not change the overall diameter of the wheel at all. The 18 inch mounted tires are available with a higher load rating if that is important.

Rolling resistance also varies widely along with tread life and road noise at freeway speeds. Want big tires with deep treads and the best possible MPG - not going to happen.
Old January 19th, 2012, 3:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Just bigger wheels with the same diameter tires wont really affect your milage at all, as far as ride you can probably go up to about 20s with a good soft tire and still have enough rubber and air space to be comfortable. Now on the other hand if you change your offset much it can have adverse effects on handling and milage...